wana make alot of power with my winsor

blue87lx

Apr 23, 2005
i wanna build a motor with alot of potential but im opn a budget. superchargers turbos and strokers are to much money for me. i want a n/a 351w with a good amount of power. its not an everyday driver. what suggestions do u guys got

• Sponsors (?)

i wanna make the most power i can out of it but i cant afford any of the things i listed above. it doesnt have to be streetable its not a daily driver. right now i have the block bored .40 over and stock bottom end. so i have about 2500 for pistons heads and cam and intake manifold not includign the carb.

oooooh, 2500 for all that? i just spent 2500 to get the guy started on my combo and the price of the heads. to make awsome power you need an awsome combo and for that you need some great flowing heads. Also to make really good power levels you are going to have to rev alot higher to get that power from an N/A application. Looks like your going to need to save some more money man.

Not like it has to be done now right?

Heres my suggestions for a budget 351. Balanced bottom end with some forged pistons. roush 200 (dart windsor sr) heads, cam matched to your gears. Solid Roller if you can afford it, solid flat if you cant. Airgap intake and a 750 carb either vac or double pump. Make sure you have the fuel pump and dist to keep up with it all and for cheap you can have 450 or more horsepower.

Take a look at my sig and my vid.

Use a good oil pan and windage tray. These items are nearly free horsepower. Keep the crank out of the oil and all will be good.

BTW my cam is a hydraulic flat. Idles like...ok it doesnt idle. At 1200 rpm it will shake the fillings out of your teeth. The specs are 285 gross duration, 540 lift. Pulls like a stuck pig to 6500 and past but I dont go any faster if I shift later, so why bother?

blue87lx said:
balanced bottom end with forged pistons do u mean just the stock bottom end or aftermarket and what compression pistons?

I'm talking about stock rods and crank and new forged pistons. this combo will be good as long as you keep the revs below 7k for drag racing and street duty.
Depending on your fuel requirements, if you have steel heads and want pump gas keep it around 9.5 to 1. With aluminum heads you could go closer to 11:1 but from what you have said, that is out of your budget.

Sportsman Racing Products (SRP) Makes a good and reasonably priced piston. I like comp and lunati for cams. You dont want to go too wild if you are going to drive on the street. You will think it fun at first, then chances are that you will get tired of the radical combo.

Then all you have to do is worry about hooking up.

I'm doing the same, keeping the stock crank and rods but buy KB Hyper Pistons. I'm shooting for 10.5 to 1 CR with iron heads.

For street duty (mine a convertible) I'm going with a hyd cam & lifter, solids scare me a little but seem to make more power.

Does anyone besides Ford make the 351 oil pan that fits foxbodies?

Kurt

Milodon 7 quart for the 351 in a fox. Summit part number MIL-31126 $245.88 Moroso 7 quart for 351 in a fox. Summit part number MOR20520 $219.95. I have the Ford Motorsports pan in my stang and I have windage issues. Possibly these other pans would help keep the oil out of the crank. You would also need the correct pickup.

get some aluminum's like 185's, Victor JR intake, comp cams XE274S (flat solid), proform 750 carb, 4.10 gears, you can get some hyperateutic piston if you dont plan on power adders set it to 10.1CR, 1 3/4 long tube headders, leave the stock rods and put some ARP rod bolts!