Want A '15 - But Dealer Won't Take My '13 On Trade Due To Recall - Help!

flubyu

Jan 5, 2009
I have been stalking the 2015 like crazy since it the debut. I have been close about 3 times to purchasing one and could never seem to make numbers line up.

I was at the dealer today looking at a beautiful DIB 15 GT and asked to run some numbers. I had finally convinced myself that now was the time. Now the deal has stalled indefinitely.

I have a 13 GT convertible, loaded, but unfortunately under the latest series of Ford recalls for the Takata air bags. There are essentially two versions of the recall, mine car under the "we aren't even forecasting part availability" category. The dealer cannot accept or sell my potential trade.

So what do I do?? As a convertible, I don't want to miss peak season now for trade values and the current incentives on the 15. I've been "guestimated" parts available to mend the recall sometime in the Fall, but that means I need to hold on to the car another year.

Anyone else in this boat?? Can Ford do this?? All I want to do is give the dealer my business and nobody can take me!

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of that in my life... I would go to another dealer, if they say the same, then I would get a lawyer about giving your car back to ford and getting a full refund on them giving you a bad car.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure a lawyer would touch this and it's a bit much to go through just because you want to buy a new car. Recall's does not fall under the State Lemon Law unless the issue is major mechanical and cannot be resolved. I do, however I know how you feel at the moment! Obviously, it's a Ford dealer your at so it would seem to me that unless there is a legal reason (IE: State or Federal Laws vrs. personal policy) that they cannot accept your trade then try another Ford dealer and if they refuse call Ford and ask them why this dealer is refusing your business. It would seem to me that they would have they ability to fix the recall after they take ownership of your car, but is more likely the dealer GM's are doing this so that they do not have to sit on the car for any longer than they have to.

Good luck and please let us know how you made out

A dealer can not sell a vehicle with an outstanding recall on it. The recall would have to be performed first. The parts for the recall appear to be months away. The car will lose value while sitting waiting for parts availability. I do not blame the dealer one bit. It is good business on their end. Why would they give you current value for your car just to watch it sit and lose value? What they are doing is absolutely legal. You can not expect them to buy a car that can not be sold.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct a "S" recall must be completed as mandated by FEDERAL law before it is sold. Why not sell the car privately?
What if there is no fix yet? The '12 Boss 302 I bought from a Ford dealer yesterday has a recall for the airbags.. The dealer asked me sign a waiver that stated that they disclosed the fact that there is an open recall on the car So they sold the car to me illegally?

Last edited:
As far as I know that is 15S21 for driver inflator. and 14S-- for passenger the parts are available or atlas they where last mustang I looked up. To answer your question as far as I know yes it is illegal when parts are available. If parts are not available it's either advanced notice , so technically its not active or they're backordered in which case the parts manager can escalate the case to release as early as possible. If thats the case they should not put profit above your safety..... as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the info Sparta. I think it was more my desire to buy the car then the dealerships greed, seeing that they disclosed the recall before I decide to buy the car. I could have very easily walked away.It was my choice. In fact I looked at a number of 10 and up GT500s and 11 and up GTs at different Ford dealers and this was the only dealership that said anything about a recall.

Found a few others willing to take it, but well below what I could get privately. Seems like that's my option for now or *gasp* keep the car.

Sparta - I think mine has 15S21 - no ETA on those parts and Ford has not even made it known to me as an owner, I just found out while evaluating a trade.

Dealers are not supposed to be able to sell ANY of these Takata cars unless the recall and replacement have been honored for the car.

If they can't sell the car, they aren't going to allow you to trade it in because they will be stuck with it until recalled component is replaced. This is a big issue for dealers right now because they have many brand new cars that are affected by recalls and cannot be sold with the current environment of government oversight in the automotive industry.

Takata is going to lose their ass on this.

This is a pretty old thread brought back from dead. I think the point is moot now. I took my car in for something else and they did the recall while it was there. I don't think the original problem exists anymore.

I have been stalking the 2015 like crazy since it the debut. I have been close about 3 times to purchasing one and could never seem to make numbers line up.

Personally I think it's illegal these things are allowed to happen, but they do. I was in receipt of an airbag for my 2014 v6 but moved out of state before I knew it was available. Now I need to wait again. Not that I want to or plan on getting in an accident with my nice ride, but metal shards shooting into me doesn't sound like fun. I feel they should take your trade-in as standard depreciation value as it would be given your mileage, condition, etc. They basically sold you a failed product to begin with. They need to own up to their mistake. Is this the same dealer where you bought your current Mustang? If not and if possible I'd go back to them since it's off their books.