Want A 1999-2004 Mustang As My First Car. Need Advice.

emdianni

Oct 30, 2012
Hello, I'm a little new here, but ill let you know what I need some advice on. I'm turning 17 relatively soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I would love a mustang, particularly a 99-04 mustang. I have a job and am saving up some money. I currently have 2500 and my parents are willing to match that. For all you math enthusiasts you probably figured out that means i have 5k to buy a mustang. I am just wondering about a few things.

1) V6 vs GT? I would absolutely love a GT, but I'm not sure how thrilled my parents would be with me having a v8. A V6 would be more than fine with me, but i was wondering if the GTs were that much better. How much of a difference is there in insurance cost and gas mileage is my main concern.

2) Automatic vs Manual? I've never driven a manual car before, but a bunch of my friends do and say that its so much more fun. I'm sure learning would be no problem. Are there any other significant differences between the two? MPG, Price etc. I live in more of a city area, but not really. Its hard to explain, but I'm never going more than 5 miles without a stop if that helps.

3) Buying. I figure ill probably find the best deals on craigslist, but i know kbb and auto-trader are pretty good sites too. Should i be buying from a private seller or a dealership? What questions should I be asking them to make sure I'm getting what i pay for? Also, how many miles should a 99-04 mustang that cost 5000 have on it?

Any other input would be appreciated. Also, I expect to put some mods on the car as time passes and I get some money. What mods do you recommend I get?

If there are anymore questions or you would like some additional information on my situation feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello, I'm a little new here, but ill let you know what I need some advice on. I'm turning 17 relatively soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I would love a mustang, particularly a 99-04 mustang. I have a job and am saving up some money. I currently have 2500 and my parents are willing to match that. For all you math enthusiasts you probably figured out that means i have 5k to buy a mustang. I am just wondering about a few things.

1) V6 vs GT? I would absolutely love a GT, but I'm not sure how thrilled my parents would be with me having a v8. A V6 would be more than fine with me, but i was wondering if the GTs were that much better. How much of a difference is there in insurance cost and gas mileage is my main concern.

2) Automatic vs Manual? I've never driven a manual car before, but a bunch of my friends do and say that its so much more fun. I'm sure learning would be no problem. Are there any other significant differences between the two? MPG, Price etc. I live in more of a city area, but not really. Its hard to explain, but I'm never going more than 5 miles without a stop if that helps.

3) Buying. I figure ill probably find the best deals on craigslist, but i know kbb and auto-trader are pretty good sites too. Should i be buying from a private seller or a dealership? What questions should I be asking them to make sure I'm getting what i pay for? Also, how many miles should a 99-04 mustang that cost 5000 have on it?

Any other input would be appreciated. Also, I expect to put some mods on the car as time passes and I get some money. What mods do you recommend I get?

If there are anymore questions or you would like some additional information on my situation feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance!
I'd say go with an automatic V8. Especially if you've never had a stick shift before. And since this is your first Mustang I would probably stick with a dealership that is near you that you can trust.

Gas milage wise they are not much different actually. The pre 05 V6's were severely under engineered and well, even the 4.6 was compared to what they have since done but I have owned both a 01 V6 and an 02 GT. I would vote hands down for the GT as the V6 may satisfy you the first month you own it and after that you will want more.

My advice would be to save $500 more and get your combined number to 6k and you will find the quality of cars will increase dramatically. The other variables really depend on you and if you feel like you can learn a manual transmisison. Insurance will be high naturally with a young male and it still being a sports car.

Reactions: 1 user
GT or bust.

Also I didnt know how to drive a stick shift when I bought my GT when I was 17 years old and never regretted it. Insurance will be higher compared to the V6 but its worth it. Gas mileage is pretty good on the GT's if you drive reasonably. I get 18-20mpg average with mixed city and highway driving, strictly on the highway I get 24mpg going 75mph, and in the city I get like 16mpg. A coworker had a 2003 V6 Mustang and he asked me about my gas mileage because he thought it would be horrible and I told him what I just posted, he was upset lol he said he averaged 15-17 a tank. :D

Just take your time looking for a car, there are a lot of good deals out there to be had.

Keep us update on you search.

I have owned both a 01 V6 and an 02 GT. I would vote hands down for the GT as the V6 may satisfy you the first month you own it and after that you will want more.

+100000!

My first car was a 2001 GT that was purchased brand new by my parents. Before buying the car, they wanted to see if I would be satisfied with a V6. At the time, I didn't care if was a V6 or a GT, I just wanted to be in a new edge mustang (like you) because I was in love with them.

A friend of the family had a 2000 V6 5spd. that wasn't being driven so my parents arranged to have me drive that. That was, technically, my first car. At first, I LOOOVED it. It was the car I had been wanting to get into for a long time. I thought I was hot stuff in that car......but it quickly wore off. I quickly started noticing the same year GT's around me that looked better, sounded like sex, and would blow my doors off. Being in love with my car, I decided to mod it instead of going for a GT. I put quite a bit of money into it and it was simply no where near the V8 models. Like what txredgt said, I was more than satisfied for the first few months......but I wanted more.

I got my brand new 01 GT 8 months later and could never understand why I looked forward to the V6. 99-04 2V GT's are, my no means, the fastest cars on the road but they are fun and plenty fast for the average person.....and they are a hell of a lot funner than any V6 Mustang (even 11+ YEAH I SAID IT).

The choice of V6 or V8 involves a number of questions, including:

a) Can you afford the insurance? A 17 year old driving a V8 Mustang will be a pricey affair.
b) How mature are you? I don't mean to be condescending but the question has to be asked (and it may be what your parents are asking, if in not so many words...) Even though the 99-04 GTs make only 260HP they are a fairly light platform, are nosy-heavy and are rear wheel drive. How likely are you to get into trouble? How good a driver are you, both in terms of skills and judgement?

As well:

The V8 is pretty thirsty in city driving. Can you afford the fuel for it?

Will you drive the car in the winter?

Having said all that, if you can wing it get a V8/5-speed combo. I suspect you'll initially like a V6 but will quickly grow to wish you'd bought a V8. Get a car with traction control and ABS. Look for maintenance records. If it's seen winters look for rust protection records.