Want KB, need to rebuild... Cost estimate help?

94blackntan

Jul 28, 2005
Okay, If I rebuild my 94 cobra engine, what is the difference in cost between
doing a simple put it all back to basically original, versus a replacement of all
of the internals. Or, should I just get a crate motor.

I don't want to spend a ton, but want it reliable.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles on the car? How much boost are you looking to run?

You definitely want to replace the stock hypereutectic pistons with forged pistons since boost is in the future.

the car needs a total rebuild, but the tranny and rear end are recently rebuilt.

It has 150k.

So, do I get all new internals, and just keep the block, or get a kit from DSS or SHM? I want to run a good amount of boost....

but be mildly streetable. You know, enough power that the wife doesn't want to drive it.

Well if you plan to use the stock block you need to think about limiting power to less than 500 or so hp. Around that ammount of hp, the factory blocks often (not always) split from the crank to the cam to intake manifold into 2 pieces.

8 psi with AFR185 heads on a 302 and the biggest Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam made about 485 crank horsepower in an article in MM&FF called "Proof Positive". Go much more than that and you are starting to enter split block territory. There is another thread where I posted several hard numbers form the article. Try searching for that thread.

485 hp would put about 400 horse to the rear wheels.