want to do a brake upgrade and i want new rims...should i swap to 5-lug? what do i..

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
what do i need...i see about 20 different "kits"...i want it to be a setup where i have multiple wheel options not just the factory mustang wheels...if i get a conversion kit from like latemodelrestoration.com it comes with front discs and rear drums for like $400 but says it only uses certain wheels? i have 4 wheel disc right now but they are 4-lug and im not happy with them...also if i get a kit with drums in the rear i can always upgrade right b/c most of the braking is in the fronts anyways so...i also have a wilwood adjustable brake proportioning valve and the mm stock pv delete kit...they are brand new...will i need these? any help would be great.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

how much is this going to cost me? and where can i find a kit or parts list? how many hours do you think this would take a mechanic to install? im trying to see how much this is going to run me total. thanks again

well i want to do it right not peice it together so i would like a kit so im not looking for parts from a ranger or this that and the other thing. i dont have $3k to spend on a kit. basically i would like better brakes than the stock system while also being able to have a wider range of wheel choices. i like the fact that the kit i mentioned above has disc front and rear and is a relatively decent price but i want to know if its a good kit or if i should get something better. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Like you said there are several different ways to get 5 lug on your fox, unfortunately most of them will not work with the newer style wheels. The SSBC kit is one of the ones that will not work. The Fox body front brakes rotors are the hub style. These will not work with the newer wheels because the dust cap will push the center cap of the wheels out. You can use a spacer to solve the problem, but then you need new lugs and your wheels will stick out. The best bet is to get the spindle from a 94-95 v6 or v8, with all the brake hardware and swap it over. this way you maintain the fox width but get the better brakes and you can use the newer wheels without a problem. for the rear you can go to NorthRaceCar.com and get a full kit for the rear, or piece one together. The sticky on the tech page goes into detail about the different options you have. I chose to go with the NRC stuff because it keeps the fox width and is a complete kit.

how much is this going to cost me? and where can i find a kit or parts list? how many hours do you think this would take a mechanic to install? im trying to see how much this is going to run me total. thanks again

Check out the sticky about this in the Tech section. there is a lot of great information in there. I am in the process of getting all the parts i need for my fox to SN95 conversion and it looks like it will cost just under $1100 to do front and rear. I am putting FR500 wheels on my 93 GT. As for time, that depends on what you want. I will be painting all of the parts and doing the work myself. The actual labor should not take that long, really just swapping parts, but if you want to do more than just slap on parts it will take longer.

thanks for the detailed answers. i think it sounds like i should do the sn95 swap. so im basically taking the stock parts for the sn95 or should i buy upgraded sn95 kits? sorry for all the noob questions...i will read the sticky...thanks again

thanks for the detailed answers. i think it sounds like i should do the sn95 swap. so im basically taking the stock parts for the sn95 or should i buy upgraded sn95 kits? sorry for all the noob questions...i will read the sticky...thanks again

If you want to save money, buy stock parts. You should be able to find decent parts in a junk yard. You can look on ebay and on classified adds in the forums for parts also. Personally i found everything i need at the junk yard. Start with the cheaper parts to get everything converted. You will then be able to change things whenever you want very easily. going straight to the upgraded kits will cost at least twice a much.

which list of parts did you use? and what kit from northracecar.com?
i see a few different ones in the sticky.

I will be using:

94-95 spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors off a 94 GT
94 Master cylinder and brake booster
MM Stainless Brake Hoses, 1979-93 ft, SN95 brakes, coarse thread
MM Master Cylinder adapter kit, 93 Cobra/94-95 GT M/C, 1987-93
MM proportioning valve

I will be using the Cobra kit from NRC, use the link below to check it out
North Racecars Brake Solutions

I am buying the full kit, ebrake cables, axles, and all.
I looked at purchasing these items individually and it works out to be damn close to what they are asking for. I have been unable to find a junkyard that will sell me parts off the rear end of 94. they all want to sell the full axle.

I am then going to put 17"X9" FR500 ANTHRACITE wheel on. I might do 17"x10" for the rear.

I decided to use all 94 parts for the front mainly for the initial cost. I will be putting a cobra kit on eventually, but that is pricey to start with. Later all i need to convert would be calibers with brackets and new rotors.

Hope this helps.

thank you...that helps out alot...i guess ill start my search for parts and slowly purchase them one at a time....so you bought used front brake parts or brand new parts?

found some 1996 gt spindles, calipers, and rotors in very good shape for $350 shipped. and a 94-04 master cylinder/brake booster for $100 shipped....are those good prices?

You need to read that sticky. All your questions would be anwsered. Surely there is a junk yard atleast some what local. Besides any junk yard will ship parts. You really only have about 2 5 lug conversion options. The rest are basically variations. Either do it the right way and go sn95 parts or do the cheap way and get the stock fox brakes style 5 lug conversion. But then your wheel choice is limited due to the dust caps. So its just liking having 4 lug in most ways. Sn95 is the way to do it. Dont go baer or ssbc. fyi
Posted via Mobile Device