Want to install a Spal Dual Fan set-up...how to wire it?

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Well im tired of my hot ass running car!!!!! I just ordered the twin spal fan set-up, how do I wire it up? The stock fan kicks on earlier because of the tune, do I just wore it directly to the stock wiring or do I need anything else?? please any info would be appreciated.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need it. I have a 331 like your but I'm sure I have more compression and my car doesn't go past the N in NORMAL on the gauge. After I cut the car off I can leave it for 10 mins and go back and the car is back cold.

Post up the wiring instructions for the Spal fans and we can tell you how to adapt the wiring to make the retrofit.

FWIW, I outrun the stock fan at about this ambient temp (it's 98* today).

Spal fans are great and should be an easy wiring retrofit. We just need to know if they achieve high speed with series-power or different poles.

I put a SPAL fan on my ex girlfriend's Camaro. I used to think SPAL was the best, but I was wrong. The car immediately started overheating if it sat still too long. Those SPAL fans don't put out anywhere near the CFM advertised, and certainly no where near as many CFMs as the stock one. The first fan I got seized within 4 weeks. We got a new one under warranty, and the second one seized within a week. I put a $15 flex fan on the car from the autoparts store, and it never overheated again. If your car is running hot, and you want to get it to cool down, the best option is to put a factory replacement electric fan off a 95 Ford Taurus 3.8. The stock fan on that car pushes over 4000 CFMs. You can find them on ebay for about $80. It's by far the best bang for the buck I've ever seen.

Kurt

I noted almost no difference in the 3.8L Taurus fan and our stock fan (I now run a Taurus fan). I would not look to it as an upgrade compared to a healthy stock fan. It flows about 3750 CFM at 33 amps. It's the Mark VIII that flows ~4300 CFM. Trying to package a Mark VIII fan would be a tough chore (due to depth).

I noted almost no difference in the 3.8L Taurus fan and our stock fan (I now run a Taurus fan). I would not look to it as an upgrade compared to a healthy stock fan. It flows about 3750 CFM at 33 amps. It's the Mark VIII that flows ~4300 CFM. Trying to package a Mark VIII fan would be a tough chore (due to depth).

Should I just replace the motor in my fan?

Should I just replace the motor in my fan?

We're not even sure exactly how hot you're running. Are you sure your fan is functioning properly?

I'd only replace the motor if it's going south (they are known for shorting). Sometimes you cannot get the motor's output shaft divorced from the blade, and then the whole fan is junk anyhow.

Check your fan connector and see if the connector is starting to burn/melt. Also be sure both speeds are engaging and that high speed stays engaged.