WANTED: Your opinions on 2.3L reliability...

My 2.3 has almost 203,000 miles on it and is still running good. She needs a complete tune-up and a few minor repairs (cooling fan, EGR, minor power accy stuff, body) but otherwise is great. My gas mileage sucks, but that's probably due to the tune-up being needed so badly. That'll have to wait until I start my new job.

When I bought her Jan 31 of 2004, she had 198,457 on the clock, and I changed the oil about 2 days later.

She's never threatened to leave me on the side of the road, and for what the engine is, it has decent power. And the handling, compared to other vehicles I've owned, is downright fun ;)

• Sponsors (?)

I have had my 92 convert. for 2 years, it has 160 thousand miles on it, and i beat on it every day, do neutral drops and all around, I am careless with the motor and tranny.. Mind you, you should not do this, im trying to make it blow, but, in the past 2 years the ONLY things that have gone bad/out are.. My flexplate, which was a manufacture defect, the starter, and the timing belt came off, due to no regualr mantinence, so yes, this motor i would drive around the world...

love my 90 got 215k miles on it gets 29 mpg i drive 500 to 600 miles a week back and forth to work. needs body work got some susp. mods want to put 17's on it. thinking about putting my tube front K-member and coilover setup in it for weight mostly. also want panhard bar on back. definatly go 5-speed

Jquintel said:
I have 88k on mine, and have been running very nice... no problems whatsoever.... mines even an auto *gasps* lol

I've got a few but I guess the SVO don't count in this opinion poll ;) Anyways my 93' LX has been the best car I've ever had besides my 96' Tahoe some old lady murdered. Its got 130 miles on it and the A4LD is starting to act up, I guess if I would change the filter and add oil to it more than once every 4 years it probly would work better :rolleyes: The over all 2.3L(T) has been around for decades and has proved to be a very dependable motor and even a hidden sleeper if you take the time to do it ;)

Know a guy who has a Ranger that has over 400K miles on it!! He picked up my 2.3 for it just for piece of mind. We all wanted to see it hit 1/2 million but it had a wristpin knock and he drives over 200miles daily and was afraid to get stranded. Its amazing