wanting to add a double din head unit, need help..

Stallion96Vert

Jul 6, 2004
Im wanting to change the head units in my car, currently I have a 96' with the mach 460 system... A picture of how it looks is attached below. If you look at it you can see the CD player is seperate from the AM/FM tuner. Thus if I change these two out for a cd player head unit I will be left with an open space.
I want to get a double din head unit, similar to the one in the 99+ stangs, except it wont be the stock head unit. So I was wondering if I could take out the peice that goes around the headunit, the A/C controls, and the vents from a 99+ stang and put it in my 96 so that I could fit a double din head unit. Hopefully someone knows if the trims peices will interchange or not.
Attached are two pictures, one of my 96' setup and one of a 99+ set up with the double din headunit that came factore in those. This will give you some idea of what im talking about.

Thanks in advance,
Shane.

Attachments

• 652805_5_full.jpg
    652805_5_full.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 158
  • stangnet.JPG
    stangnet.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Sponsors (?)

You will see what I mean when you take off your radio bezel. There is a molded plastic piece that runs horizontally across the front that needs to be removed. It will take some creativity to actually mount your head unit in the opening. I also had to notch out the lower molded piece to make room for the trac and fog light switches that came with the newer model bezel. Just be patient. I don't know what kind of other probs you may run into with your '96. I don't know how much different it is from my '02.

Keep in mind, 01+ Dark charcoal and 94-98 Black do not match.

If you do this, you'll need to get the stereo trim and shifter trim so it looks somewhat matched. Or you can get the 03-04 IUP Silver trim, if you want to spend $$$

I have a '03 dark charcoal radio bezel if you are interested PM me.

Stallion96Vert said:
Where would I find this 03-04 IUP silver trim at? And by the way thanks for your help guys.

Shane.

EBay, Ford, Ford Parts Network.

Keep in mind, it's expensive unless you buy used. The shifter bezel alone runs $190 and the radio bezel is about $60ish.

I actually need an IUP shifter bezel myself.