Progress Thread Wanting upgrade advice for 350+ rwhp

Craigb79

May 17, 2020
Surrey bc
Hey guys,
I have a 2007 mustang 4 0L and I'm looking for some advice on which upgrades and in what order I should do then.
When I bought the car it had a airaide CAI installed.
I did a gt rear end 8.8 swap from a 2008 gt
And installed a pypes dualexhaust conversion

Obviously my next step will be headers. I kind of want long tubes. But also know if I want to see these numbers I will need bost.
My plan was to get eventually get the modbox kit Nd take N Eaton m90 super charger out of a Thunderbirds.
But if anyone has any suggestions that dont involve me patience g 5k+ for a procharger that would be great.

I'm not going to buy a v8 at this point. So just having fun with it and making it mine is the goal.

HELP ME REACH 350 RWHP

THANK YOU

• Sponsors (?)

I think you should just drive it and not worry about how much power it makes.

If you don't want to fork over 5k for a supercharger kit plus and additional 500 or so for a tune plus whatever it costs for one-piece driveshaft that's worth a damn then you [definitely] don't want the repair bill when something breaks.

I'm certain there are others here that can cover things I've missed.

I think you should just drive it and not worry about how much power it makes.

If you don't want to fork over 5k for a supercharger kit plus and additional 500 or so for a tune plus whatever it costs for one-piece driveshaft that's worth a damn then you [definitely] don't want the repair bill when something breaks.

I'm certain there are others here that can cover things I've missed.

Sorry. But if I wanted to just drive it i would have left it the way it was on the beginning and not dropped the 3k in parts and labor.

I said I didn't want to spend 5k on aprocharger. Doesn't mean I'm not going to pit boost in there. There is other options at better prices.

Cost of custom tune/ dyno not an issue

I just want to know where I should go from here.

If you dont want to answer that then dont reply.
Thanks

I am by far not a "Have to Have a V8" guy. Everybody knows that and I hate Convertibles. (I own one)

If you want the 350 to the rear, it is easier to sell the V6 and buy the V8.

I have swapped out a 95 V6 engine to an 02 V6 engine. Have done some bolt on's, Changed the rear Axle and other odds and ends. I am sitting at 241 book math right now with what I have.

Check out my build thread for the in depth details on what I have done

Check out "Super Six Motorsports" to see if you like what they have to offer. but I will stand by my first statement. If you are looking for 350 RWHP, sell and buy a V8. It can be done, but it will all be in what you want to invest into the car. Best route I have seen so far is on Super Six. Power pack, forged Internals and pro charger

Sorry. But if I wanted to just drive it i would have left it the way it was on the beginning and not dropped the 3k in parts and labor.

I said I didn't want to spend 5k on aprocharger. Doesn't mean I'm not going to pit boost in there. There is other options at better prices.

Cost of custom tune/ dyno not an issue

I just want to know where I should go from here.

Thanks

Sorry but... You're not the first person to arrive with a dream and no reality. I will also thank you to keep your own counsel as to where and when or how I post. You extended the invitation to the forum. I did not however, seek your advice on how to respond.

If you're looking for 'dreamcatcher' answers, try bookface. If you are looking only for answers that fit squarely on your preconceptions, you should try a notebook. The alternative would be to fully describe the idea that you have in mind and ask questions about its feasibility.

:pop:

I love it when a new guy shows up with a crazy idea.

I love it even more when they insist on pursuing it even after getting sound advice against it.

I REALLY love it when they start telling people that have been members of this site over a decade and/or RUN THE DAMNED THING what they can and can't post. :rlaugh:

Then they usually keep being silly and get banned and there's no more fun... Once in awhile one of them sticks around, and on even more rare occasions, one sticks around and proves us wrong.

Please be the last kind of that guy... or if you're going to be the first kind of that guy, PUH-LEEZ make it spectacular! :nice:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I am by far not a "Have to Have a V8" guy. Everybody knows that and I hate Convertibles. (I own one)

If you want the 350 to the rear, it is easier to sell the V6 and buy the V8.

I have swapped out a 95 V6 engine to an 02 V6 engine. Have done some bolt on's, Changed the rear Axle and other odds and ends. I am sitting at 241 book math right now with what I have.

Check out my build thread for the in depth details on what I have done

Check out "Super Six Motorsports" to see if you like what they have to offer. but I will stand by my first statement. If you are looking for 350 RWHP, sell and buy a V8. It can be done, but it will all be in what you want to invest into the car. Best route I have seen so far is on Super Six. Power pack, forged Internals and pro charger

I have checked them out. But the thing is I am not sure what order I should be doing my mods.

Investing money is not the issue. But I'm not rich so will be a slow process.
I'm looking for a "road map" if you will.

I was considering dropping a 4.6 in. But I wasn't sure if I would need to replace the dual exhaust I just put in with a gt exhaust. I assumed yes. It makes sense that I would have to.

Paraphrased: BY Kiddiccarus

2007 V6 with a 4.0L
Torque240 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm
Base engine size4.0 l
Horsepower210 hp @ 5300 rpm
Turning circle33.4 ft.

Installed:

Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Probably This Link Here
2008 GT 8.8 Rear End with 3.33:1 Ratio
Pypes Dual Exhaust

Tentative Goal is to get as close to 350 RWHP as possible

OK. Please Answer these questions.

1. Is this car a Daily Driver or a Secondary Play Thing
  2. Money is ALWAYS A FACTOR or we would all be driving a Special Edition Stang. So, in reality what is the budget here?
  3. What are you doing with the car right now? I am asking, is it sitting waiting for a wrench to be turned or are you driving it to get your groceries and it can not be without power or an engine for a month?
  4. Are you looking to make Money off this build in a well .......... or are you doing this build to make yourself fell happy and have a sense of accomplishment?
  5. What is your Knowledge in engines and doing the work yourself?

In my build, I am making the best version of a daily driver that I have envisioned in my own mind. When I run into troubles, this community helps me. I in turn share my knowledge to help others who embark on the V6 route to get them as close to their goal that I can. (I am not done with my build yet by any means)

As for a road map, we can do that, but I need the questions answered because the road map suggestions will hinge upon them.

OK. Please Answer these questions.

1. Is this car a Daily Driver or a Secondary Play Thing
  2. Money is ALWAYS A FACTOR or we would all be driving a Special Edition Stang. So, in reality what is the budget here?
  3. What are you doing with the car right now? I am asking, is it sitting waiting for a wrench to be turned or are you driving it to get your groceries and it can not be without power or an engine for a month?
  4. Are you looking to make Money off this build in a well .......... or are you doing this build to make yourself fell happy and have a sense of accomplishment?
  5. What is your Knowledge in engines and doing the work yourself?

In my build, I am making the best version of a daily driver that I have envisioned in my own mind. When I run into troubles, this community helps me. I in turn share my knowledge to help others who embark on the V6 route to get them as close to their goal that I can. (I am not done with my build yet by any means)

As for a road map, we can do that, but I need the questions answered because the road map suggestions will hinge upon them.
1 car is my weekend ride but will be used on the streets
2 I'm not rich but of course if money was no object I would not have bought the car I did. I'd have to do thing one thing at a time or whatever. But I'd say 10-15 k over time is reasonable.
3) car sits in parking space most days and I take transit to work...its my weekend car
4) doing this to make myself happy. And if I get it to where I want it I'll probably keep it forever lol
5)personal knowledge is minimal. But have lots of family willing to help.i would not shy away from professional help if needed. Also I just prefer to have the peice of mind

Since it is not a Daily Driver and your knowledge is in the learning stage which is 100% OK we are all learning. We can use what you already stated as a starting point.

Some of the Mods that I will be talking about are not to increase HP but to create a Stable Base and Foundation for what you want to have in the end result. Only YOU can decide in the end if the suggestion will be something which you want to add into your build.

Suggestions: (In Order)

BUY THIS FIRST: You will need it to figure out what the hell Ford did at times that makes no sense in what actually needs to be done. Trust me on this one.
Haynes-36052-cover_0.jpg

Rear End:
  1. Make sure the GT rear end has limited slip in it.If it does not, you may want to consider getting a LSD Carrier.
  2. Upgrade the differential cover plate to a girdle.
  3. Torque box kit.
  4. Quality Shocks and Struts all around (Quad Shocks if you are not running a wheel that cant use them on the rear)
  5. Upper and Lower Control arms that will allow you to safely hit 400RWHP (I have these on mine)
  6. YOU DO NOT NEED COBRA BRAKES!!!!
Drive line:
  1. Transmission, look into exactly what you have. Manual/Automatic. Look at what it can handle as it sits. If an upgrade is not needed, then no need.
  2. Aluminum Drive Shaft
  3. Manual Trans. If you are not going to Autocross, Drag, Etc for money. You wont ever need anything more than a Stage II clutch kit and probably wont need that.
  4. Automatic Trans, check the rating for torque and hp. I never owned an Automatic in a Mustang so I am not the best at upgrades here.
Engine:
  1. Decide on if you are going to swap engines or build the one in the car now
  2. If the engine that you are building is the one inside the car right now.
    1. Are you going to remove it and build it until complete?
    2. Are you going to upgrade and use bolt on's until you have to remove it to complete the build?
  3. If the engine that you are building is not the one inside the car right now. (Advantage: Everything can be done prior to install)
    1. Used? The a rebuild kit is suggested. (You said you can get help in the work)
    2. Determine if you are going with forged internals, if this is a yes. Do this when you are rebuilding the engine.
    3. If the end result of this build will include a Pro-Charger, make sure that all decisions in the build are leading toward that. Heads, Cam, Lifters, Rockers, Headers, Porting, Polishing, Etc.
    4. Install, Test, Tune, Live Life Happy.
Body: (My Sole Opinion)
  1. Do not take anyone's Advice on what YOU want your car to look like.
  2. I prefer the stock look so that nobody is trying to bother me at a street light
  3. Ask for suggestions on things that work for others and make an informed decision on what you will use.
  4. If you change the hood for the Pro-Charger. Measure and don't try to go too high, it will jack up your visibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure the GT rear end has limited slip in it.If it does not, you may want to consider getting a LSD Carrier

Quality Shocks and Struts all around (Quad Shocks if you are not running a wheel that cant use them on the rear)

YOU DO NOT NEED COBRA BRAKES!!!!

If the end result of this build will include a Pro-Charger, make sure that all decisions in the build are leading toward that. Heads, Cam, Lifters, Rockers, Headers, Porting, Polishing, Etc.
All Mustang GTs built since 1987ish have limited slip.

S197s don't have quad shocks.

Cobra brakes don't fit S197s.

The engine has two cams (with four timing chains, including one on the back of the engine), no lifters, and no rocker arms.

Reactions: 1 user