Was buying this car a huge mistake???

I've been into the muscle car hobby all of my adult life, you need to go into this with eyes wide open.
Buying any 25+ year old car, especially a modified muscle car, is going to have or will have some amount of repair/ maintenance.
For $7500 you're off to a pretty good start, clean body and block that can handle some power.
I would imagine it has some form of diy ecu/chip ?

• Sponsors (?)

I feel better- don’t get me wrong, im outside my mind crazy about these cars. I had one in the late 90’s and loved it. Been begging the wife to “let” me get one for years now! She finally agrees and I’m dropping cash into it like there’s no tomorrow.

As far as working on it goes, I’m willing and mostly able. I don’t have a lift so some things are a challenge but I feel confident that I can handle most basic to moderate repairs. It’s the sheer number of them and the vision of what’s in my minds eye on how this car is supposed to be that got me all worked up!!. When reality met up with my wallet it was a bit of a shock.

I’ll start with -as one of you mentioned- the low hanging fruit and Work from there. It’s a huge relief to be in such good company.

All the clutch parts/pieces should be here in 2-3 days. I have a buddy that has a lift and he’s agreed to help me out so that’s been a little bit of a relief.

I’ll post up some updates as we get going!

Thanks again everyone!!
Paul

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
My car is far from what my “mind’s eye” sees. I keep two pics hanging above my workbench. They both are cars the same color as mine, but the “look” that I hope to have some day. It’s my motivation for my journey, but it’s fun so far!
Good luck with yours!!

It's a damned nice looking car - and it sounds to be a pretty good base to start from! It's all been stated before, but I'll reiterate, there's nothing there that can't be fixed or modified to your liking. The body is good, the paint is good, it runs..... good start! The clutch is basically maintenance work, the rest is basically just tinkering to get it right!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
There is a lot of knowledgeable and good info on here. As you know these cars are finicky so issues arise. I had some issues with a funky idle and the checklist got me right through. As someone mentioned, just take one issue at a time and you will figure it out.

Dude, that looks like a great car for $7500. I would take it easy on it until you verify the engine noise. Last thing you want to do is actually break it.

Good luck with the fixes. As others have said, take them one at a time. Welcome brother.

My car is far from what my “mind’s eye” sees. I keep two pics hanging above my workbench. They both are cars the same color as mine, but the “look” that I hope to have some day. It’s my motivation for my journey, but it’s fun so far!
Good luck with yours!!
I was the same way....this guys Fairmont was the inspiration....
pedals 010.jpg

(But I kinda got carried away.)

It's good to have a goal pic to keep your focus though

Reactions: 1 users
Tell your wife I said it was cheaper than a girlfriend
on second thought tell her carmichaelangilo said that :cool:

That was my thoughts exactly...i said.. "Some men have hobbies that take them to "gentelmens" clubs... Mine takes me to my garage, 5 feet from everyone.. What do you prefer"?

The look from that comment was similar to the time i got caught checking out a biki-clad hottie.. My response was.. "What does it matter where i get my appetite so long as im home for dinner".... That resulted in a slap to the back of my head..LOLOL

• Clever
Good luck with yours!!
Thats a great idea!! I think i'll follow your lead!

It's a damned nice looking car - and it sounds to be a pretty good base to start from! It's all been stated before, but I'll reiterate, there's nothing there that can't be fixed or modified to your liking. The body is good, the paint is good, it runs..... good start! The clutch is basically maintenance work, the rest is basically just tinkering to get it right!
Thank-you!!

Dude, that looks like a great car for $7500. I would take it easy on it until you verify the engine noise. Last thing you want to do is actually break it.

Good luck with the fixes. As others have said, take them one at a time. Welcome brother.

Thank-you!!

Man, that's a beauty! You did great for $7,500, and I do believe that clean fox-bodies are only going up in value, now. The GTs and LXs will never command what the rarer ones like the Cobra Rs & Cobras do. I don't expect them to get to absurd prices like specialty cars from the 60s do or anything. But there are enough guys out there that grew up with them, and now they have a little more money. So, demand for the cleanest examples is slowly but steadily increasing.

Foxes were never dead reliable. They always had things breaking: accessories, trim, ash tray doors. That's why the clean ones are so nice to see. When you see a clean Fox, you know its owner is an enthusiast.

I hope your 351 doesn't have a serious problem. When I run into motor noises, I often jump to the most concerning conclusion first, and yet the only time I really blew or damaged a motor, I knew it for a fact right away. All of the other scares turned out to be minor. I hope that's the case for you, too. Honestly, a clutch really isn't a big deal to me anymore. It only takes a few hours to drop and reinstall everything, and a few hundred dollars sucks, but it's not the end of the world. By the way, which clutch did you end up going with?

I can relate to how disheartening it is to keep finding problems that you didn't see or that went bad before you could cross other things off the list. When it feels like you take 2 steps back for every one step forward, it makes you rethink owning the car. I've certainly felt that way. It's a challenge to get everything crossed off the list. It's so rewarding once you have, though. Then you can deal with singular issues rather than feeling overwhelmed. You'll get there, man. Just keep going. It pays off when things come together.

• Agree
Man, that's a beauty! You did great for $7,500, and I do believe that clean fox-bodies are only going up in value, now. The GTs and LXs will never command what the rarer ones like the Cobra Rs & Cobras do. I don't expect them to get to absurd prices like specialty cars from the 60s do or anything. But there are enough guys out there that grew up with them, and now they have a little more money. So, demand for the cleanest examples is slowly but steadily increasing.

Foxes were never dead reliable. They always had things breaking: accessories, trim, ash tray doors. That's why the clean ones are so nice to see. When you see a clean Fox, you know its owner is an enthusiast.

I hope your 351 doesn't have a serious problem. When I run into motor noises, I often jump to the most concerning conclusion first, and yet the only time I really blew or damaged a motor, I knew it for a fact right away. All of the other scares turned out to be minor. I hope that's the case for you, too. Honestly, a clutch really isn't a big deal to me anymore. It only takes a few hours to drop and reinstall everything, and a few hundred dollars sucks, but it's not the end of the world. By the way, which clutch did you end up going with?

I can relate to how disheartening it is to keep finding problems that you didn't see or that went bad before you could cross other things off the list. When it feels like you take 2 steps back for every one step forward, it makes you rethink owning the car. I've certainly felt that way. It's a challenge to get everything crossed off the list. It's so rewarding once you have, though. Then you can deal with singular issues rather than feeling overwhelmed. You'll get there, man. Just keep going. It pays off when things come together.

Thank-You! - Thanks to Everyone!! I'm seriously overwhelmed with the support. You guys have all been awesome to me - a complete stranger - which feels amazing. I cant say enough good things about you folks and the support in this thread.

Answers:
Exedy Mach 400 (AM says stage 2 - LMR says stage 1) same kit though.. (i cant imagine that i have 350+ at the wheels...lol)
- I went a little nuts - i replaced (without knowing if i needed to or not): The Flywheel, the bearing retainer, the Clutch Fork and mounting stud?, the Throw-out and Idle bearings, the Rear Seal, bought firewall clutch cable adjuster and lastly new "hardware" to replace all the bolts etc..

While the trans is out, it will aslo get new fluid.

I hope the motor thing isnt serious but i've come to grips with reality if it is.. -So What!! Ill park the car, ill look for a replacement or potentially buy a built up short block. Its not what i want to do - but if it happens it happens and i cant sit here and cry about it.

When I bought my new trans and clutch assy a couple years ago I bought all of the same new hardware Stussy. Nothing wrong with that.

• Agree
You didn't go nuts with the clutch parts. If you can afford to, that's the best way to do it. Peace of mind knowing you did it complete and checked off all the parts is satisfying. Keep going!

I realize that i'm new here and that i haven't formed any "forum friendships" yet but i just needed a place to vent...

So about 2 weeks ago i took a very long drive to see a car in another state. I was super excited and at the same time tired of seeing the rotted out SH1T for foxbody's local to me. This one looked great in the pics, sounded pretty damn good too. The previous owner was responsive and answered all of my questions.. I had my finances in order and took the ride..

The good:
-3yr old paint - done "mostly right" -- as in - door panels removed, windshield removed, Headlights/taillights removed.. (Saw a video of it getting painted).. it was an acceptable job.
-NO RUST.. I went top to bottom - looked over all the known bad places - everything is GOOD. Strut Towers are solid as a rock, Rear hatch is perfect, underside of doors have nothing, Floors are clean, pinch welds are mostly straight and not rusted..
-Interior is clean (new headliner and carpet) Retrofitted 2017 Mustang seats in the front too so it adds some modern touches and i actually like it.

The bad:
-I suspect that theres a fuel issue - although its unconfirmed. Car seems like it runs obnoxiously rich.. if i have it idling in my garage, i smell like gas.
-"The clutch just went - i've literally had the car for less than 100 miles.. (i test drove it, it was grabbing high in the pedal but i didn't think it was that bad)..I guess it was.."
-The motor - its a 351w, with all the 5.0 EFI stuff. It has aluminum head and its makes a crap ton of noise.. I think its the valves/rockers.. preying its not a Rod or multiple Rods... When i first heard it, i thought it was just injector cycling.. But - maybe not..
-The Tach is messed up - it revs up to 3k only.. even when i know im well beyond that..
-The stock temp gauge doesnt work - but an aftermarket one installed by the previous owner does.. I hate it.. i just want the stock gauges..UGH..
-The Speedo bounces at lower speeds 30mph and slower..
-Electrical - I suspect there to be other electrical issues based on some odd behavior by the radio.

There are other odds and ends that to be honest, i was looking forward to "working on".. but with each new discovery i feel more and more defeated.. I know (after reading some of the posts here ) that the guys on this forum would probably laugh at my list of issue and just blow through fixing them but i'm likely less skilled and certainly less knowledgeable so the task seem daunting.. AND Expensive..

sorry for the rant..

"I suspect that theres a fuel issue - although its unconfirmed. Car seems like it runs obnoxiously rich.. if i have it idling in my garage, i smell like gas."
As previously mentioned look under the car to see if the exhaust system has catalytic converters on it. No converters, that's the possible source of the stink. The other possibility is that the fuel tank vent system has been mangled and is venting to open air. The check for this is to dumpy the computer codes. Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/. Look for a code 85 - Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing.

"The clutch just went - i've literally had the car for less than 100 miles.. (i test drove it, it was grabbing high in the pedal but i didn't think it was that bad)..I guess it was..." There should be ZERO slack in the clutch cable. The clutch is designed to run with 5-10 lbs. of tension on the cable.Clutch Adjustment for stock and aftermarket setups
Revised 28-Apr-2016 to include need for longer cable with single hook quadrant

Clutch adjustment with stock cable and quadrant
There is a self-adjusting mechanism for the clutch cable. As the clutch wears the cable tension changes, that is why there is a self-adjusting mechanism built into the clutch pedal. There is a toothed plastic quadrant with a ratchet pawl that engages the quadrant. As you pull up on the clutch pedal, it ratchets and takes any slack out of the clutch cable. Mess around with the pedal or even bump it while the end that fits in the clutch fork is loose, and it tries to take up the slack in the cable. That has the effect of shortening the cable.

Do the clutch adjustment first before considering any other problems. With the stock plastic quadrant and cable, pull up on the clutch pedal until it comes upward toward you. It will make a ratcheting sound as the self-adjuster works. To release to tension of the stock quadrant, use a screwdriver to lift the ratchet paw up and out of engagement with the quadrant teeth.

You can use a screwdriver to lift the ratchet pawl off the quadrant teeth. That will allow you to move the quadrant to allow more slack in the cable. If the cable is too loose, pull up on the pedal. The ratchet pawl will allow the quadrant to take up the slack in the cable and lock the adjustment.

Adjustable cables are used when the plastic quadrant is replaced with an aftermarket metal quadrant. The downside to this setup is that you have to get under the car to adjust the clutch. Add a firewall adjuster to an adjustable cable setup and you can spare yourself from getting back under the car to make any fine adjustment that you desire.

The fancy 2 and 3 hook quadrants are for use with stock length cable and a firewall adjuster. Use the firewall adjuster and screw in and out to take the slack out of the cable and get the clutch engagement point just where you want it.

Binding clutch cable
A binding clutch cable will make the clutch very stiff. If the cable is misrouted or has gotten too close to the exhaust, it will definitely bind. The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.

Clutch pedal adjustment
Clutch pedal adjustment with aftermarket quadrant and cable: I like to have the clutch completely disengaged and still have about 1.5” travel left before the pedal hits the floor. This means that I have only about 1” of free play at the top before the pedal starts to disengage the clutch. Keep in mind that these figures are all approximate. When properly adjusted, there will not be any slack in the clutch cable. You will have 4-15 lbs. preload on the clutch cable. With a non-adjustable cable and a firewall adjuster, the cable needs to go in the second hook of the quadrant. Single hook quadrants used with a firewall adjuster may make the clutch too tight, causing it to slip. The possible exception to this is the Maximum Motorsports cable which is a bit longer to make it work with a single hook quadrant.

Adjustable clutch cable tips:
Loosening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the rear of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the floor.

Tightening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the front of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the top of the pedal.

Firewall adjuster tips
Turning the firewall adjuster IN makes the engagement point closer to the floor since it loosens the cable. You have to push the pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch. Too loose a cable and the clutch won't completely disengage and shifting will be difficult. Gears will grind and you may have difficulty getting the transmission in first gear when stopped.

Turning the firewall adjuster OUT makes the engagement point farther from the floor since it tightens the cable. You push a short distance to disengage the clutch. Too tight a cable will cause clutch slippage.

Aftermarket solutions to the problem:
The quadrant needs to be replaced if you use any type of aftermarket cable or adjuster. My preference is a Ford Racing quadrant, adjustable cable and Steeda firewall adjuster. The adjustable Ford Racing cable is just as good as the stock OEM cable. It allows a greater range of adjustment than a stock cable with a aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. Combined with the Steeda adjuster, it lets you set the initial cable preload and then fine tune the clutch engagement point to your liking without getting under the car.

Using a stock OEM cable, firewall adjuster and a single hook quadrant may result in not having any free pedal travel before the clutch starts to disengage. I found this out the hard way.

See Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 for the following parts.

Ford Racing M-7553-B302 - Ford Racing V-8 Mustang Adjustable Clutch Linkage Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com Cable and quadrant assembly $90

The Ford Racing Adjustable cable is available as a separate part:
Clutch Cable, Adjustable, Ford, Mercury, 5.0L, Kit FMS-M-7553-C302_HE_xl.jpg

[url=http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-7021/]Steeda Autosports 555-7021 - Steeda Autosports Firewall Cable Adjusters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Steeda firewall adjuster. $40

575166.jpg

Fix for the quadrant end of the cable popping out of the quadrant when installing a replacement cable courtesy of Grabbin' Asphalt
attachments\575167

Help for those who have replaced the clutch assembly and are still having problems with adjustment:
The next step doesn't make much sense it you already have the transmission installed, but just for sake of discussion, here it is:
The throwout bearing sits in the clutch fork arm with the wave springs pressing on the rear flange of the throwout bearing.

?temp_hash=3b781a008f68f70d0bde9d6310e08fdb.gif

Major differences between the distance between the flywheel surface and the clutch fingers may require tinkering with the clutch fork pivot ball. Stack your old pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel up like they were when installed in the car. Tighten down all the pressure plate bolts and measure the distance between the clutch fingertips and the flywheel face.
Too much thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far back to get the clutch cable on the quadrant. It may even sit against the rear or the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm. In that case, reduce the pivot ball height.
Too little thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far forward and bottom out against the front side of the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm.. This will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging.
In other words, the clutch fork arm should sit positioned midway or a little towards the rear in the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm when the cable is properly tensioned.

"The motor - its a 351w, with all the 5.0 EFI stuff. It has aluminum head and its makes a crap ton of noise.. I think its the valves/rockers.. preying its not a Rod or multiple Rods... When i first heard it, i thought it was just injector cycling.. But - maybe not." Loose rockers and especially roller tip rockers are noisy. There are two types of rocker arms on 5.0 aftermarket heads. Pedestal mount which is the stock style and stud mount like the old small block Chevy's had. The following procedure is only for the pedestal mount rockers.
Michael Yount’s valve adjustment procedure

Here's an easy way to determine this. Start with the #1 cylinder. Rotate the engine with a ratchet on the crank bolt clockwise. Watch the #1 pushrods. First the exhaust pushrod will rise and fall signaling what would be the exhaust valve opening and closing if the rocker were on. As it closes the intake pushrod will rise -- keep rotating clockwise until the intake pushrod falls and is level with the exhaust pushrod - both at the same height. Both lifters are now on the base circle of the cam - both valves would be closed if the rockers were on.

Now, install both rockers. Tighten the bolts with one hand while rocking the rocker with the other hand - continue until you reach the point where you can't 'rock' the rocker any more because there's no gap on the valve stem end or the pushrod end. You are at zero lash - i.e. - no gaps. Stop tightening just as you reach this point.

Now, put your torque wrench on the bolt and tighten it to 18-20 ft-lbs while counting the number of turns it takes to reach the torque. You should hit the torque within 1/4 to 1 turn of the bolt. If it takes more than 1 turn, use a shim to raise the rocker -- each .030" shim will reduce the number of turns to torque by about 1/4 turn. If you reach the torque in less than a 1/4 turn, or you have trouble reaching zero lash even at full torque, then you'll either need longer pushrods, or to CAREFULLY remove some material from the bottom of the rocker fulcrum. Using the procedure described above, you will work through the remaining 7 pairs of rockers. If you follow the firing order, it will minimize the manual cranking you have to do to get the lifters on the base circle of the cam prior to installation of the next pair.

When I first went through mine, 13 of them took no shims; 3 of them took 1 .030" shim. Upon cranking it up, one or two of them sounded a bit noisier than I thought was right, so with the engine hot, I pulled the upper off, and the valve covers, and went through the installation procedure again. That time, 11 of them took no shims; 4 of them took one .030", and one of them took one .060" shim. And they were very quiet running.

I'm going to stop here and start a new post so that this doesn't run out of space...

Last edited: