Was I supposed to put loctite on the crank pulley bolts?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Cause I just found one snapped off, and the other three are loose. Loose enough to let the pulley wobble, but not loose enough for me to get them out by hand. :mad: And of course, the few tools I have don't fit them, and I'm 60 miles from home. I'm not happy, I had tightend them up very tight, and all of a sudden, they come loose now. WTH!?!?

/rant
L.D.

• Sponsors (?)

Loctite is not called for in my manual and is not necessary. If you torque the bolts to the required specs they will be fine. Loctite can make bolts very difficult to remove and should not be used unless specifically called for by the manual.

Ford has installed millions upon millions of crank pullies without the use of Loctite.

Make sure you use BLUE loctite and NOT NOT NOT the RED loctite. If you do and have to replace the pulley it will be very hard to remove and you usually end up breaking bolts.

this happend to me like a couple of months ago. what it did was i was driving and all of a sudden 2 bolts broke inside the harmonic balancer and the belt flew off. i had to replace my harmonic balancer and while i was at it i replaced the pulleys with underdrive.