Water in oil??

Neverevenstarted

Apr 14, 2020
United States
What's up people! New member here.

I have manual 2012 gt with 29k Miles on it. I decided to throw a stage 3 Roush supercharger on it. The car was running fine and I've never had an issue with it as I barely drive it. The car has never overheated and no coolant leaks, when I drained the coolant to install the supercharger the level was full.

I installed the kit using the instructions and some YouTube vids, after I finished the install and threw the tune on. I tried to crank it and got a single click, I broke it down and drain coolant again to look for wiring issues. I didn't find any, put it back together and notice the coolant was taking forever to fill. I checked under the car and saw nothing leaking, I tried to crank it again and again a single click. I checked under the car and saw a couple drops of water(coolant) coming from the junction of headers and mid pipe. I then check the oil and saw water mixed in, checked the spark plugs they were fine. I dump the oil and easliy a gallon or more of water came rushing out followed by oil. What could have cause this? Is there a way to possibly mis route the coolant hoses in a manner that would allow the water to enter the oil? I'm looking for possibilities bc the car was fine before and somehow now water is getting into the oil pan.

• Sponsors(?)

Svtpilot

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Long Island, NY
So it didn't do this on the initial installation, and the car was never ran so it probably isn't a gasket issue. It sounds like when you are filling the tank the coolant is pouring directly into the oil pan. Is it possible that you accidently connected the PCV hose to the coolant tank?

EmmJay

Jun 16, 2019
USA
Do a compression test. It will rule out a head gasket issue. When I ran a KB on my '89 5.0L anytime I had running issues a compression test was the first order of business to rule out a blown head gasket.

Reactions: Svtpilot

Svtpilot

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Long Island, NY
Do a compression test. It will rule out a head gasket issue. When I ran a KB on my '89 5.0L anytime I had running issues a compression test was the first order of business to rule out a blown head gasket.
Unless I am misreading his post he never got the car running after installing the supercharger and it sounds like as he was filling the coolant it was going right into the crankcase which is why I'm thinking he somehow connected the PCV hose to the coolant tank and I don't think its a headgasket. Anyhow he hasn't replied in 10 or so days so maybe he figured it out.

EmmJay

Jun 16, 2019
USA
Unless I am misreading his post he never got the car running after installing the supercharger and it sounds like as he was filling the coolant it was going right into the crankcase which is why I'm thinking he somehow connected the PCV hose to the coolant tank and I don't think its a headgasket. Anyhow he hasn't replied in 10 or so days so maybe he figured it out.
A compression test will indicate if there is a problem with head gaskets or other catastrophic failures. It removes the chance of the improbable occurring. I believe the supercharger (a twinscrew unit) he is using has a closed lubrication system so the plumbing to and from it is only for air and water. There is little chance for coolant to get into the oil unless there is a mistake in connecting coolant lines or a gasket is failing somewhere. It would help to know if the coolant level dropped only in the intercooler system or the engine cooling system.

Svtpilot

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Long Island, NY
The coolant level didn't drop, he never got the car running. He said he was refilling the system and it was taking a long time to fill, he checked the oil and there was water in it. Pulled out the drain plug and a gallon of water came out an then the oil. Sounds like the coolant was going directly into the crank case as he filled it. I don't see how a headgasket could cause that when the car does not start. Coolant is not circulating through the engine.

EmmJay

Jun 16, 2019
USA
Which system was he refilling? The question is relevant either way. The engine will hold a lot more than a gallon of coolant if it was flowing freely into the lubrication passages.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Passenger side leak issues and cowl questions 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
S Water In Oil SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
S Stroker Build Questions 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 47
dwbro1 Water Mixed With Oil In Kenne Bell 1.5l 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
Foot Hill Does Efi Computer Use Water Temp And Oil Pressure Info? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Foot Hill 89 Efi Water Temp And Oil Pressure Sender Question For Restromod Swap Fox Engine Swaparoo 2
8 Water In Oil After Intake Manifold Gasket Change Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
N New '98 'vert Owner, Water In Oil The Welcome Wagon 0
A Water in Oil Pan?????????? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
mob Water in oil, is this normal? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
B oil temperature and water temperature gauges SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 1
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 1
M Autometer 2 1/16" Gauges For Sale - Boost/Water Temp/Oil Press/Air-Fuel/Fuel Press. Interior Exterior Parts 5
Stangit50 Just installed electric Autometer Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauges... ?'s Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
6 Water in oil, oil blowing out of pvc in 289 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
astronut1885 Speedhut 2 1/16 electronic oil pressure and water temp gauges. Interior Exterior Parts 0
J new edelbrock intake problem water in oil Classic Mustang Specific Tech 15
chgovfk Water / oil pressure gauge help? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
U PI swap...now oil in water! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
N Oil Pan and water pump differences? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
G water leak top of oil cooler SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
D Aftermarket Water Temp and Oil Pressure Sending Units 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 29
D water/foam on the oil dipstick only ? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
G Water and Oil mixed leak SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
astronut1885 Installing oil pressure and water temp gauges. Quick?s SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
B How are you guys installing water temp and oil pressure gauges? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 1
JJ95GTID Milkshake (oil/water) :( 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
VTStang66 white smoke in exhaust, not oil or water Classic Mustang Specific Tech 11
Z oil & water gauges SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
D New Problem, Water in the Oil 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
A Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauge Questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
RFMustangGT Ford Racing oil and water guages... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
RFMustangGT Ford Racing oil and water gauge question... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
soontobefastfox Mechanical Water Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge ? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
M How do I keep factory oil pres and water temp guages when adding autometers...? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
FHPstang Autometer electric oil pressure and water temp gauge issues. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
8 Oil Pressure and Water Temp. gauge installation q's Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Blackened302 water in oil 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 26
1320stang Woodworking question, can you put oil based polyurathane over water based? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
89RedFoxGT water/oil mixing questions. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S Small amount of water in the oil.... Regional Forums and Event Information 3
S Weird, water in the oil question... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
89RedFoxGT Hey Guys, Quick Question! WATER in OIL Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
9 installing oil and water temp guage...need to know where headlight wire is located? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
kilgorq Head Gasket replacement Now water in the oil 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 9
1994Vib.RedGT OH **** Water mixed with oil in the intake 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
The Green GT Ill be installing a water temp and oil pressure gauge next weekend. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
1 Oil pressure/Water Temp/Tach guages Classic Mustang Specific Tech 9
94Blue302GT RRAAGGGHHHRRRHRHAH!!! Water in oil problem.... for the 3rd time. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 15