water leaking into trunk/bottom of rear window

20001 mustang

Dec 6, 2009
i have a 2001 mustang gt and the other day when i opened my trunk i noticed ice on to underside of the trunk and some on the bottom of the rear window, ive only had to car for 5-6 months and its never had a leak. but i removed to spare tire to find a fairly large puddle of water and noticed a square patch of electric tape, im not sure if this is some crap fix by the previous owner or something stock as it was held down well and i didnt want to remove it before i knew what it was, i also have removed to rear spoiler and pluged it on my own, but i used plenty of silicone ,tested it and found no leaks. there are two small cracks on the inside of the trunk, but not in a position to allow water in.
any tips on what the problem could be or where to look would be a huge help i dont want to leave this a minute longer than i have to any help is appriciated

also i know im probly in to wrong area to post this could someone direct me somewhere better if possible.

• Sponsors (?)

nope, coupe. i poured water all over it today and couldnt find the source, i really want to deal with this asap its pissin me off, it wasnt just a bit of water i had a puddle goin :bang:

20001 mustang:

Water may be leaking in around the spoiler bolts. There are supposed to be "squishy" washers or gaskets that will create a waterproof seal but, if the previous owner had removed the spoiler (some people do), then look for drips there. The spare tire well is the low point so water will always end up there.

You can get new squishy washers from your Ford dealer or you could use RTV. Do not overtighten the nuts because you can pull the studs out of the spoiler. Snug, not "Arnold tight".

HTH,

Chris

i have removed to spoiler myself but i plugged and siliconed the holes and that was the first place i checked its not getting in through there, the water was pooling under the spare tire but i got every drop out. i dont think its coming in through the taillight area as i was parked facing uphill and there was water near the rear window, it hasnt rained since i noticed this but im expecting it to very soon, i want this dealt with today or the next day at the latest I DONT WANT RUST DAMMIT thanks for any tips you can give me

on a side note the piece directly above my two rear seats has gaps on the right and left, no sure if i just never noticed this or what but any advice on how to fix it? this is definatly not related to the leak and not really an issue but any help would be greatly appriciated.

When it comes to water getting into the trunk area, it's not going to be a quick find/resolution. I have a zx2 that had water getting into the trunk. It wasn't coming in just one area. Water is tricky that way. I replaced the old trunk gasket, and I had replaced all the "squishy washers" everywhere there was one for the tail lights, spoiler, etc...The PITA leak was a hairline crack at the welded body seam ( where the rear quarter panel and trunk are put together, both sides behind each tail light). I used clear sealant in the area inside and out, and no more leaks.

Instead of using dyes to find where water is coming in, I read a trick to help find water leaks, by using flower and then hosing the car down. The flower gets picked up by the water and brought into the car and leave a visible trail.

Ended up driving around with the interior of the trunk all pulled back and the plastic parts stayed in the garage for the couple of months because when I thought one leak fixed, I found another place where water was coming in...just this girls' 2cents worth..........Good luck~~~

ive found the leaks some comes in between to cracks in the trunk near the rear window. between the cracks the trunk is raised so it does not create a seal with the weather stripping is there any fix for this i dont know much about working with plastic

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but there's a gap between the rear window and the trunk lid and there's a gap between the rear fenders and the trunk lid too. Water should come off window and run down through that gap into a channel under the lid, around the sides and exit under the taillights. Maybe that water is getting past the trunk seal. Leaves and crap can collect in there and block it up and if leaves or something is holding moisture, it makes corrosion much more likely so there could be rust through there too. It could just be that the seal just is worn or the trunk lid is not adjusted correctly and not making a good seal.

no you misunderstood i know about that but on the underside of the trunk where it would normally contact the weather stripping the plastic is raised because of two hairline cracks on both sides, that water comes in where you mention then curls under and slips through the raised portion, is there any way to fix this, i understand this is hard to picture or explain a possible fix.