Water Pump Bolt Broke Off Inside (with Pictures)

well apparently the regular tap for a 3/8 bolt and the tap for the 3/8 helicoil must not be far off because somehow i threaded in the insert perfectly then the oiriginal 5/16 bolt torqued down just fine. me and my brother did one last "Hoo-rah" today and now the car is back together running perfectly with no water leak.

i dont see the big deal?

It's not that it's necessarily a big deal. It's more that the majority of us have either been there, or barely dodged that bullet and kissed the ground because of it. LOL

• Sponsors (?)

There's a couple of things you can do here. One is find a stepped stud in SAE size and thread. Good luck with that one because they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

The other thing you can do is buy a short length of STAINLESS all-thread and cut the smaller end yourself.

Thread-lok Blue, would a good addition to the threads going into the block with either of these options.

If you have a drill press and a file you can make your own stepped stud. I have done it, but it takes a lot of care and measuring to get it right. Chuck the treaded stud in the drill press, turn the drill press on and go at the stud with a file. It takes a sharp eye and a micrometer or very good dial caliper to get the diameter right. Then tread the reduced portion with the correct size die and you are done.

well apparently the regular tap for a 3/8 bolt and the tap for the 3/8 helicoil must not be far off because somehow i threaded in the insert perfectly then the oiriginal 5/16 bolt torqued down just fine. me and my brother did one last "Hoo-rah" today and now the car is back together running perfectly with no water leak.

Congratulations on dogding a bullet. We've all had that one OH CRAP moment at least once in our lives working on cars.

PLEASE tell me you coated that bolt in antisieze. I would have also preferred a SS bolt.

There's a couple of things you can do here. One is find a stepped stud in SAE size and thread. Good luck with that one because they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

The other thing you can do is buy a short length of STAINLESS all-thread and cut the smaller end yourself.

Thread-lok Blue, would a good addition to the threads going into the block with either of these options.
Congratulations on dogding a bullet. We've all had that one OH CRAP moment at least once in our lives working on cars.

PLEASE tell me you coated that bolt in antisieze. I would have also preferred a SS bolt.

haha thanks i appreciate everyones help. please dont think what you said fell on deaf ears. im just so novice it seems i overlook a lot of things and then ending up learning them myself even when someone has already told me.

yes i did antisieze it for now although by october its gonna be stored for the winter and completely torn down and rebuilt. its only my DD until snow hits.

my brother wants to completely rebuild it with me... hes the master mechanic not me lol. i did this in a bind because my brother is using my only other vehicle because his is now a paper weight and he was too busy for the last two weeks to help me.

thanks for everyones help i learned a TON

haha thanks i appreciate everyones help. please dont think what you said fell on deaf ears. im just so novice it seems i overlook a lot of things and then ending up learning them myself even when someone has already told me.

yes i did antisieze it for now although by october its gonna be stored for the winter and completely torn down and rebuilt. its only my DD until snow hits.

^^^^:cheers: we've all had our Chernobyl Disaster Meltdown!!!

This is amazing!!!!:pop: The Pro's 2 -vs- The Grimlins 10!

^^^^Funny @ss sh!t right there!!! Glad we can laugh about it now :rlaugh:

I went through nearly the exact same thing on my 89....did the oversized bolt but I think it was on the timing cover only as I did the water pump and chain at the same time. Had the help of a machinist buddy who came over and helped.

You gave me bad flashbalcks! :eek:

Similar issue to this but mine broke on a bolt/stud that goes to the ps pump. It broke at the place the threads start so mine is probably 4" in the engine. thoughts on how to approach a break like that? I don't see how to get a bit in that far without causing other issues. This is the stupidest design and lack of thought of metal compatibility [automotive engineer being slapped int he background]. any help is appreciated.