Water pump gasket leak

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
Water pump was gushing coolant so I figured it was time to replace it. Removal and install was especially simple. That bottom bolt is a PITA, but took it in stride. I took extra time to remove the old gasket.

Now there is a slow leak that seeps coolant and it pools on top. Not a lot, but enough. Obviously I need to remove the pump and clean more gasket...arrrgggghhhhh....

Any hints? can I use ATV and the gasket to get a better seal? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A small amount of copper RTV on the gasket is your best bet (it's in the same section as all the silicone sealants, it's easy to find). You could use red, black, or copper, but the copper won't break off and clog the coolant system like silicone might.

Double check the thermostat ...Mine always leaked and puddled coolant like you mentioned.. Long as I can remember always had a piss-azz leak at the thermo....:mad:

I had replaced the thermostat last week. It appears to be sealed. I can see coolant seeping from the gasket in the water pump, very slow leak. gonna have to take it all apart agart again...a.rrrrrggggghhhhh...and put a seal of ATV on the gasket this time. Hopefully that will do it.

OK......I fixed it. I took the water pump off for the second time, and after looking very carefully, there was a lot of the old gasket that I had previously missed. This time I used a razor blade scraper and got all the old gasket off. Then I used copper RTV and put a thin coat on each mounting side of the water pump and plate, with a new gasket in the middle and it worked great. It is nice to see the parts that were all wet are finally dry:nice: