Water Pump Issue

JCode95

Oct 29, 2012
Picayune, MS
Attempting to retro fit a 68 block into my 95 I bought the timing cover and serpentine accessories for an 85Gt. The problem I am facing now is the water pump is about an inch too long. Alternator, ps pump, and crank all line up fine. Did Ford think it would be funny to make different size water pumps in 85 or did Auto Zone screw up giving me a pump?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you don't have the wrong pulley on the water pump? I am guessing that your problem is that the belts don't line up very well. The water pump pulley on a Foxbody water pump is set back quite a ways.

Kurt

You don't happen to have pictures of this setup? There were two different water pumps used on Ford Mustang engines with serpentine belts depending on how the accessories were setup. I can't find the exact dimensions on them, so it would help to have pictures of the setup. It was very common for some of these older Mustangs to be converted to later model accessories because they were better quality and readily available. It's hard for one person who hasn't owned the car for it's entire life to give you an accurate history as to what's been done with it. With a picture, I might be able to give you a more accurate application for your setup.

Kurt

Of all the pics I took I didn't take one after after I installed the pump. I will get a pic tomorrow. It's sitting at dad's house because I didn't think my landlord would appreciate me building a motor in my apartment.