water pump leaking bad but not out weephole

jay90GT302

Mar 2, 2008
Lots of coolant was leaking from the seal but not out the weepholes. I just took the pump out but and looked at it and it seems fine because u can spin it and what not. I think the pump wasnt working tho cuz no coolant was goin thru the upper radiatior hose and my temp was higher than usual... Whats my situation? def get a new pump?

• Sponsors (?)

If it has a leak, but the shaft is still turning freely, it's probably just the seal. Not sure if it's a user-replacable part, since I've never personally tried. The upper radiator hose not moving any coolant could be as easy as the level being too low because of the leak. It's pretty efficient at pumping water, but not so much with air.

Welcome to :SNSign: by the way!

a new pump can be had for under $50 IIRC. 5.0's are pretty notorious for wp's going bad, so why not just replace it anyways.... could save you some hassle and wouldn't hurt to do it. just my 2c.

yeah i was planning on just takin out the old one (20k miles old) and putting in a new one, but when i took it out and looked at it and spun it it seemed ok to me, and the fact that it was leaking out the gasket not the weephole has me questioning if i should just put it back on and try a new gasket

PS. nice ride bloop, i was wondering what my white GT would look like wit cobra Rs