Waterfall pictures in MT.. Beautiful

turbogt

May 1, 2003
Montana
I've been doing alot of hiking lately..

I found a very little known trail about a HALF HOUR from my house...

This trail is INSANE.... It gains 3500FT of Elevation in 4 miles... It is the steepest, longest set of switchbacks I have ever been on...

The reward is that the creek is basically a constant waterfall because of the ridiculous elevation change...There are HUNDREDS of moderate sized falls along the hike...

This is about a half hour north of Yellowstone Park..

Enjoy :)

First major waterfall on the trail..

View attachment 246394

View attachment 246395

View attachment 246396

View attachment 246397

View attachment 246398

View attachment 246399

Looking part way down the canyon.. My car is less than 1 linear mile away, but it took 5 miles to get here... lol

View attachment 246400

View attachment 246401

This is the bottom of 3 lakes.. We camped here for the night because we got a late start and ran out of daylight...

View attachment 246402

NOW THIS IS THE COOLEST PART... THERE ARE 3 LAKES... EACH CONNECTED TO THE ONE ABOVE IT BY A WATERFALL... EVEN THE HIGHEST LAKE HAS A WATERFALL FLOWING INTO IT FROM THE GLACIER.. ITS AMAZING...

View from my tent....
Now this is September.. In the spring/early summer, these falls would be flowing 3 or 4 times what they are right now!!!!!!

View attachment 246403

MIDDLE LAKE

View attachment 246404

WATERFALL FEEDING MIDDLE LAKE FROM UPPER LAKE

View attachment 246405

UPPER LAKE

View attachment 246406

WATERFALL FEEDING UPPER LAKE

View attachment 246407

VIEW LOOKING FROM UPPER LAKE TOWARDS THE LOWER LAKES....

THIS IS AT 9300 FT ELEVATION!!!!!

View attachment 246408

GOD I love MONTANA!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Wow...sweet pic's... My son & daughter just got back from 17 days hiking in Glacier, Grand Teton & Yellowstone... amazing pics...just like yours... They both want to move to Whitefish now...:nice:

Wow...sweet pic's... My son & daughter just got back from 17 days hiking in Glacier, Grand Teton & Yellowstone... amazing pics...just like yours... They both want to move to Whitefish now...:nice:

I live by Yellowstone, but Glacier is my favorite :nice:

Whitefish is very nice, but very snobby... The majority of the residents are East Coast or California transplants who feel that you should kiss the ground they walk on..

Oh yeah! The Pine creek drainage is beautiful! And one hellofa hike! I actually proposed to my wife not far from there, at passage falls. The paradise valley seems to get overshadowed by Yellowstone. Great pics!

I'm excited!!!!

I'm going to Mystic Lake next weekend.. Its the lake at the base of Montana's highest peak, Granite Peak.. It is considered one of the most techinical climbs in the Continental United States... Many pictures to come...

Here's a pic of the peak.... Its towards the top left corner

GranitePeak.jpg

I'm excited!!!!

I'm going to Mystic Lake next weekend.. Its the lake at the base of Montana's highest peak, Granite Peak.. It is considered one of the most techinical climbs in the Continental United States... Many pictures to come...

Here's a pic of the peak.... Its towards the top left corner

View attachment 246295

I have been to Mystic but never made the climb up granite. I have heard its a pretty spectacular trip! I have also heard that it is the hardest highpoint in the lower 48. HAve a good trip! I hope the weather cooperates for you!

I want to hike "The Beaten Path" from east rosebud to cooke city. I have heard that it is one of the best! Its 35 miles though!

Completely Amazing scenery, great pics too. I'd love to see something like that in real but I'd be pretty freaked out about bears and cougars. :eek:

It's funny you mention that.. I was so upset on the last hike that I didn't get to see any bears.. We were actually above where the bears really like to hang out this time of year. They prefer to hang around the campground at the bottom of the hike, lol..

As for Mountain Lions, I have only seen 1 in the wild, and that was many years ago.. They are very elusive.. They scare me because they could be stalking you and you would never know it..

Other than that, Black and Brown Bears don't even phase me.. But a Sow Grizzly is scary business, especially when she has cubs. But I've never seen a Grizzly in this area either..

Incredible pics man, absolutely stunning.

As someone who badly wants to move out west i have to ask:
whats the cost of living out there?
what do you do for a living?

Cost of living in Montana is very cheap... Although, the Bozeman area is one of the most expensive places to live here.. Food, gas, and entertainment are cheap... Even housing isn't too bad, but the land that the houses sit on is pretty ridiculous because of the influx of wealthy east and west coasters moving here, driving the land prices thru the roof..

Average housing prices here are right at $200,000

$300,000 will get you a pretty nice, 3 bedroom, 2 car garaged house on a decent sized lot..
Most of the town has been built in the last 10 years, so most houses are very new...

I actually don't work here at all. I only live here... I travel around the country working on Coal Fired Boilers for the most part, although I'm trying to start a Solar Energy Company here instead... I hope to be up and running within about 18 months or so..

You have way more cajones than I do, dunno what I'd do if I saw one but it must be worth it for that scenery.

Funny story.........

My roommates boyfriend is working on a house a few miles out of town...

the guy is an exotic animal trainer...

He has a 650lb Grizzly Bear, a 450lb Griz, a snow leopard, mountain lions, wolves, an African Lion, black panther, racoons, and many many more..

My buddy gave the 650lb griz a high five today, lol.. And also got to pet the some of the Cougars... Insane.. I am sooooo jealous..

I'll try to get a few pictures out of him..

He said the Lion is extinct in the wild now, its one with the full mane to his hind quarters..