Waterless car washing

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
Joe (Groverdill) did an amazing job taking care of the 93 GT. The paint is still original and for 25 years old, it's unbelievable how well preserved it looks. When my brother picked up the car from him, Joe mentioned to me that it had been a long time since he washed it with water.

I've frankly never had paint on a fox that was this nice. So, naturally I asked him what he used to take care of it, and he told me that he used chemical guys products including the waterless wash. I bought the whole line of products and about a dozen microfiber towels. I also bought a nice little 1 gallon pump sprayer to use with it. This evening as the sun set, I tried a waterless wash for the first time expecting it to be both interesting and cool. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm really a fan.

The car was relatively clean to begin with. I really didn't want to try it for the first time with a really dirty car. It took off the light dust just as expected. However, there were a few smudges on the lower fascia, and it just didn't come off very easily. I was uncomfortable pushing the microfiber drying towel hard into the smudges and ended up using a lot of the product and a microfiber mitt to take them off.

Though I watched the videos and read a lot of comments about how people have not had any issue with swirl marks or micro scratches in the paint, I'm just not confident enough in this stuff to try it on a dirt covered exterior, even though that's what they showed in their videos. If the car has more than a light dusting in the future, I think I'll stick to a nice sudsy car wash with plenty of soap and water.

Actually, on that note, has anyone used one of those foam spray applicators you can attach to a pressure washer or hose? Those look like a really good idea to me.

• Sponsors (?)

I use the waterless wash method alot, it just more convenient then a traditional wash. My paint is black and the clear is on the soft side, I have noticed some marring with waterless washing and also using the two bucket wash method with a foam gun. Im experimenting now with pre rinsing with a worx hydroshot(low psi pressure washer) to knock the majority of the dust & dirt off, then doing the waterless wash method. On my freshly polished (99% swril free) test panels its working out well so far no marring yet. The foam guns are good and work well my issue with a traditional wash is I have hard water and it leaves waterspots. The chemical guys have some good products, but their waterless stuff is way over priced, and not great optimum no rinse(ONR), wolfgang uber, ultima waterless are way better imo. Check out dallas paint correction on youtube he has alot of good videos on waterless washing and detailing, also check out the Gary Dean wash method on youtube.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yep, Im old school. Soapy water and a bath towel here. Nothing I own has that great of paint to worry about it. Even on my black '11 GT, I would spray it with soapy water at the car wash knocking the dirt off, then spray my wash mit and rub it down, rinse and finally spot free. Then dry with a soft every day bath towel, and wax a couple times per summer. Paint still seemed fine to me, and they dont even put a real clear coat on new cars.

20160824_183140.jpg

The waterless washes have come a long way. I used it on my ‘66 all the time. It only saw a water wash once when I owned it. I didn’t want to put water in the cowl, it had glass leaks etc., but it never got real dirty. If done correctly you won’t damage your paint. But nothing beats washing a car on a sunny Sunday morning! I have used and own a foam cannon and they do work awesome. Whenever my car has a light dusting, I just pressure wash, then foam, then pressure wash again and then dry off, the foam takes all the dust with it. Especially if you have a good coat of wax or sealant. If it’s truly dirty I use the two bucket method as above with grit guards.

The real key to not getting swirls is correct wash methods and QUALITY micro fibers. Keep em clean and if you drop it, don’t use it on the paint again.

Yep, Im old school. Soapy water and a bath towel here. Nothing I own has that great of paint to worry about it. Even on my black '11 GT, I would spray it with soapy water at the car wash knocking the dirt off, then spray my wash mit and rub it down, rinse and finally spot free. Then dry with a soft every day bath towel, and wax a couple times per summer. Paint still seemed fine to me, and they dont even put a real clear coat on new cars.

20160824_183140.jpg
You shouldn’t use a bath towel to dry your car. Use car wash soap and a lamb skin chamois. It will cut down on the haze that will happen using a bath towel.

You shouldn’t use a bath towel to dry your car. Use car wash soap and a lamb skin chamois. It will cut down on the haze that will happen using a bath towel.

While I am sure you are absolutely right, a couple good waxes per summer kept it looking new (in my opinion). I have nothing against the waterless stuff, was just making a point that I think regular washes can be ok also.

• Agree
While I am sure you are absolutely right, a couple good waxes per summer kept it looking new (in my opinion). I have nothing against the waterless stuff, was just making a point that I think regular washes can be ok also.
Yeah, you right too. Waxes will keep it fresh and easier to clean.

Last edited:
Meguires and mother’s brands are what we have always used at the body shop. Good stuff. I’ve never tried using Zaino.

I used a lot of crap I have found in cars over the years and mothers seems to work the best and last the longest, the cab of the 'dump truck' is original 20 year old paint and bakes every day in the florida sun, oh and I hand was it only using car wash soap.

For polishing/correcting I like HD adapt, Meguiars M205, Menzerna Sf4000. applied with a DA, For a sealants I use jet seal 109, Blackfire wet diamond. I'm now using Mckee 37s hydroblue sio2 for a sealant. There are many choices for polishes and sealants/waxes just depends on what your looking to get out them.

I've been using a combo of Macguires 105 & 205 for paint correction and polishing.
I found that using 105 with a foam pad followed by 205 with wool seems to work best.
Both applied with HF variable rotary.

Last edited:
Guys got any good recommendations on wax/polish/sealnt? A friend talked me into zaino a long time ago and I never really questioned it.
I have no problem washing my car when/if it gets really dirty and the dry method would do more bad than good. I only wash maybe once a year, if that. I typically only drive in good dry warm weather. To combat dust I use a California Duster to remove dust before I drive. I also use Mothers spray detailer with micro fiber towels, a clay bar treatment in Spring and Fall before storage. Works great for me so far.

Since I failed to follow up on this thread, here's how she turned out the next time I took her out! This is about 45 minutes from where I live. The drive was just beautiful.
20180328_191331.jpg
20180328_191345.jpg
20180328_191347.jpg
20180328_191352.jpg

Attachments

• 20180328_191336.jpg
    20180328_191336.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 134