We bought a fastback.....what to do

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
Picked this up last night. Lots of ideas of what do do with it are stirring right now. No matter the direction, there's obviously some work to do. Leaning towards alot of money and time on it, or spending ALOT of money and time on it. We have ideas, what would you guys like to maybe see ?

67fbpickupuv8.jpg

67fbsidelift1mt9.jpg

67fbqprustlw0.jpg

67fbfrontlift1wq6.jpg

67fbfrontliftzw0.jpg

67fbfloorrustbo5.jpg

67fb9inlf8.jpg

Attachments

• 67fbqprustlw0.jpg
    67fbqprustlw0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 65
  • 67fbsidelift1mt9.jpg
    67fbsidelift1mt9.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 74
  • 67fbpickupuv8.jpg
    67fbpickupuv8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
  • 67fbfrontlift1wq6.jpg
    67fbfrontlift1wq6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
  • 67fbfrontliftzw0.jpg
    67fbfrontliftzw0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 74
  • 67fbfloorrustbo5.jpg
    67fbfloorrustbo5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 71
  • 67fb9inlf8.jpg
    67fb9inlf8.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • Sponsors (?)

I vote for:
Fix the body work.
Mini tub the rear to put some big tires under there.
big block build up
2 tone paint job
caged
basically a crazy all out build up..:)

That sounds like a Pro-Street car....

Well, I'm gonna suggest a g-machine. Mean, low, with a screamin' small block. And no damn Eleanor/shelby tailgate. The '67/'68 Fastback has the best lookin' ass on any Mustang. Keep it. Also, a two tone paint job will look dated in a few years IMO.

Wow, that car sure blows up the myth of the rust-free So-Cal classics, doesn't it?

I think, in line with your specialty in turbo cars, you should stick with an 8.2" block, stroked or leave it in 5.0 form. If you want something different, add some CHI or AFD Cleveland style heads. Then you could legitimately stripe it with the '69 Boss 302 C-stripe and black out the fender extensions around the headlights.

What was the original motor/trans?

We checked, saw "C" and left it at that.:lol: But it has a 4spd in it right now, with a 289 and no heads.
If we keep it to build for us, alot of your ideas are in the area we are looking at. Turboed, obviously. What ever it is. Big brakes, yes on the mini tubs.
Don't know if it's a original CA car or not. Cars out here are starting to rust unless they were stored inside. Right now needs floors and qrtrs. Torque box and frames are OK. Some other small spots here and there.

The 9in is gonna go though. I want stupid HP, so a call to Mark Williams may be needed. :p If not, we're still gonna go aftermarket with thicker tubing.
Keep the ideas coming. We're curious, other input always helps

I am doing a restomod with my sons; 5.0, t-5, coilover front and rear susp, rack and pinion. leather seats and some tasteful exterior mods that can all be converted back to original. I used the silver car above(fastforward fastback) as a guide for the look I wanted and backed off a bit on the bling wheels and too low stance

67018.jpg

Attachments

• 67018.jpg
    67018.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 69
i say make a 68-1/2 CJ clone out of it but modernized. do it with a twin turbo 427 small block, 5 or 6 speed, leather interior, ac, full canyon rippin' suspension but stick with a 15" GT wheel, unless you can find someone to make you some 17" billet GT 12 slots, with some sticky yokohamas or something. solid wimbledon white with the black CJ stripe down the hood and black standard interior but with the aforementioned leather. in other words make it look relatively stock and sleepy on the outside but with a big stick under the hood.

Do something NO one would expect. Make it a barn find lookalike, but with some surprises. Not saying leave the body as it is, but put a good paint job on it (maybe a dark brown), tint the windows fairly dark, and have it airbrushed to have character (look worn and not threatening). However, still build the hell out of the engine and engine bay with chrome and all the bells and whistles. Get a T-56 for it too. When they see the car and open the hood, they'll be blown away. Put a set of 17" Magnum 500's on it with drag radials in the back, fairly quiet exhaust with turn downs before the valence, and no lopey cam. I'd leave the interior near stock too, but you'd still need a few guages for the turbo(s).

Yeah, my idea is way out of the ordinary and off the top of my head, but the point it makes is you don't need a shiny car and huge wheels (even though I have chromed 18's) to make a really unique ride.

Do something NO one would expect. Make it a barn find lookalike, but with some surprises. Not saying leave the body as it is, but put a good paint job on it (maybe a dark brown), tint the windows fairly dark, and have it airbrushed to have character (look worn and not threatening). However, still build the hell out of the engine and engine bay with chrome and all the bells and whistles. Get a T-56 for it too. When they see the car and open the hood, they'll be blown away. Put a set of 17" Magnum 500's on it with drag radials in the back, fairly quiet exhaust with turn downs before the valence, and no lopey cam. I'd leave the interior near stock too, but you'd still need a few guages for the turbo(s).

Yeah, my idea is way out of the ordinary and off the top of my head, but the point it makes is you don't need a shiny car and huge wheels (even though I have chromed 18's) to make a really unique ride.

Dude, that is an awesome idea. The ONLY problem I can see is trying to sell a car for that much money when we're done. Maybe we can even put a systematic ATF drip in the down pipe to really get the effect of a junker.

bnickel said:
i say make a 68-1/2 CJ clone out of it but modernized. do it with a twin turbo 427 small block, 5 or 6 speed, leather interior, ac, full canyon rippin' suspension
Pretty much what we're thinking, except the CJ aspect of it. Guess that is what it would end up being though.

So here's what I'd do:

Build a sweet street car out of it. 351W based engine (stroker?) TT. Make the body nice and straight, but nothing too flashy. I'd do a sweet driveline, nice wheels and brakes,and throw in a modern stereo (nothing too crazy).

Basically the type of car that everyone looks at and says "sweet car". The oldschool folks will like the stock looking body/interior and will appreciate the modern performance driveline. Whereas the younger folks will love the performance aspect, while still appreciating the classic body lines and interior.

Kinda the best of both worlds... the looks and style of a classic with the performance of a modern musclecar.

Then... I'd use it as a showpiece for your shop. It would be the type of vehicle they everyone will say "I want my car to look like that one". Make sure you take lots of pics of the restoration process so that you can show customers how the car used to look as bad as theirs does now.

I'd do a Bullitt inspired pro touring style rig with a 3 link rear, minitubs, turbo'd 351 (no stroker), EFI (so you can make whatever electronic tricks work to not boost first gear) and a six speed. I'd even paint it metallic green and leave all the chrome on it.