Electrical Weak spark on #1 cylinder. Suggestions/Help

Bad (lifted) trace on the ECU circuit board. The bad cap "juice" will corrode & lift them. Look around the area of the replaced caps. It could be a pad lifted.
bad-old-capacitor-2-on-board-goop-2-450x363.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Weak spark only at #1 cannot be anything that's common to all cylinders.
Can only be bad spark plug, bad plug wire or bad connection.

Remove #1 plug wire & #1 plug & carefully inspect. I've seen spark plug clips inside the boot that don't attach firmly to the top of the plug.

Nope thats not the issue I assure you. Did it with two sets of good plugs, two sets of wires, two caps and two rotors.
It’s something that has to do with ignition just none of those.
Furthermore if you re-read OP it states when cranking prior to engine starting it has good spark with SPOUT in but, once it starts it’s very faint to non existent. So, that in itself shows what I am saying.
Possibly coil now, TFI, or distributor.
If I get the time and not so tired from work I got a PM going on with a guy on this forum who wants me to do some tests that should help narrow it down.

Not hijacking thread. But I've been dealing with problems as well. Finally pulled computer and found this. 2 of the 3 capacitors is leaking. The one with green fuzz is missing a leg.

I sent my computer off to ECU Exchange today. I could probably solder myself, but I want the whole computer checked out.

Attachments

• picture_2020_6_13_14_26_58_44.jpg
    picture_2020_6_13_14_26_58_44.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20200613-141545.png
    Screenshot_20200613-141545.png
    1 MB · Views: 87
Reactions: 1 user
Not hijacking thread. But I've been dealing with problems as well. Finally pulled computer and found this. 2 of the 3 capacitors is leaking. The one with green fuzz is missing a leg.

I sent my computer off to ECU Exchange today. I could probably solder myself, but I want the whole computer checked out.
Yep, leaking pretty good at that.
Shoulda replaced them yourself. It’s easy to do.
Best of luck. Hopefully that will resolve your issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, thanks to 08GT500 and his recommendations and testing procedures with the accompanying Probst manual she is fixed.
What a good Fathers Day. My son came over and we continued testing following certain procedures and everything pointed to the HALL Effect Sensor aka PIP.
I had already ordered the reman. distributor so, I put it in.
That was problem. Something was a issue in the PIP as now I have good spark at #1 spout in. No more stumble and runs smooth as silk.
So, one thing is for sure I pretty much know every wire related to the ignition and EEC-IV on this car so, although It was a pain to narrow it down I enlightened myself tremendously on the way this particular ignition/eec-Iv works.

I had ordered (hasn’t arrived yet) a nice used OTC EEC-IV breakout box in the event I needed to delve deeper but, I will at least have it if ever needed now.

Big thanks to anyone who offered input and a huge thanks especially 08GT500.

Mike

A side note about the Probst diagnostic book is a great read and really helps out in diagnostics.
So, buy it if you can find a copy.

Last edited: