webers, vic jr, 4bbl carb? engine possibilities...HELP ME OUT

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
I am so full of questions and opinions today. Here is my situation:

I either want to build a potent 347 or 427(small block) in my 1966 mustang. The car is not a drag racer, it is a street cruiser. I have a built C4 with a TCI 3300 stall converter, a 9" rearend with aubrun 3.50 gears. I have a set of late model twisted wedge heads that flow 320/235. The guy I bought them from said they went 134 in the 1/4 on a stock bottom end 302 naturally aspirated. I also have 1.7 Cobra Roller Rockers.

Money is somewhat of an object, but i am about to make a killing selling my other car.

Benefits of having the 347:

I have a 4340 eagle crank already
a Prepped roller block
an msd pro billet carb dist
a 650 speed demon carb -however....

I am REALLY considering a complete weber setup....but i dont know how they would perform on this engine. -opinions on that please.

The cam will be custom ground by compcams. The other benefit of this engine is weight and I wont have to switch transmissions.

Drawbacks:
Strength of block

Benefits of the 427w:

Wow factor (I guess I can get that with the webers on a 347)
STRONG block and crank, no worries about putting high HP through it
Lots of torque

Drawbacks:
Id have to start collecting parts from scratch again.
Have to swap trans to handle that torque
Extra weight (nominal)
Clearance issues with Carb/intake/aircleaner

So...what would YOU do and why?

427w?
347 with webers?
347 with a demon carb?

Shane

• Sponsors (?)

Well being a 351W owner and fan, I'd love to say go for the 427, but i see no reason why you'd need it. A 347 built the way you are talking about will be more than wild enough for the streets. I would do it with the webers since power gain will be minimally more with a single carb and the webers are cooler.
I also am not sure how'd they perform, but Im sure it wouldn't be too bad if you tuned it right.

I think I read somewhere that I would get more maximum HP with a single carb, but more torque across the board with webers.

That torque is what is going to make the car faster, not peak hp.

Correct?

well, i'm not sure even about the torque gains with the webers. Chances are it will perform better all around with the single carb, but only by a tiny smidgen, maybe a few horses here and a few lb feet there. A properly configured demon or the like can deliver excellent performance at all rpms. No wow factor, though.

Trust me, you'll have plenty of torque...

I'm pretty sure 408 is as far as you can go with a stock 351W block. 393 would be cheaper. I think the 427W requires an aftermarket block since a lot of clearancing is needed. No, I haven't done all my homework on that, but that is what I have heard. If this car is a cruiser, why is a stroker needed? Webers are expensive man. For VW's, a pair of 48IDA's go for about $1000. Most IDA's are worn out from what i've heard, so it would be good to get new castings ($$$$$$). I know none of this sounds concrete, but maybe do some more research and see what you find. Also, 3300 stall sounds a little high for a "street crusier"....

thats what i was hearing too...about the webers being worn out. It was a thought though. I am going to stick with a 347 since i have a lot of the parts already.

The 427...you dont need an SVO block. I thought you did too, but from the prices from coasthigh...it doenst seem like an SVO block.

3300 may sound steep...but it is really nominal for a car with 3.50 gears and a C4. PLus, I needed something loose for a radical cam. Need the radical cam to help with the stage III heads. So, it all fits together.

thanks for everyones input.

I'd forget the Webers and got with either a single carb or a 2X4 intake on the 347. Now I'd say the same about a stroker 351W, but Weber or 2X4 intakes are as rare as hen's teeth for these motors, you're pretty well limited to a single 4 with the 351W.

GaPonyFarm said:
Allcarfan, You have so many ideas that I'd be surprised if you ever got anything done. You tear into that rearend yet?

Weather was really nasty here yesterday so I didnt have a chance to open it up. My ideas...are for the engine. I couldnt decide, but now the decision has been made. 347/twisted wedge stage III heads/custom ground cam/ported weiand stealth/650 speed demon carb.

Finally got my leafs and shackles in yesterday, so the rear should be put back together this weekend...after the bottom of the car is stripped of dirt, grime, grease, etc...prepped and then painted.

Transmission is done - built C4 that went 6.60s in the 1/8th backed by a TCI converter - new reverse manual valve body...transbrake is wired, but i will probably never use it. Bellhousing powdercoated, cross member powdercoated, custom trans pan installed and powdercoated. Polyurethane transmission mount.

Still having issues with my shifter (I have to send it back to summit because the reverse lockout stopped working). Its a B&M hammer shifter.

Interior is 80% done. I have all of my body parts (for the car)- R style front apron, gt350 hood, fiberglass decklid with spoiler. I have all of my exhaust components (less headers right now). Replaced floor pans, replace cowl.

Wheels are on and fitting great...17x8" chrome bullits with nitto 555r (245/45) tires in the rear and kumho 225/50s in the front. Shelby drop completed, 620 springs are in, all four fenders are tucked. 3/4 of the undercarriage has either been powdercoated or stripped and painted - still gotta finish up that last 1/4.

So....I have been pretty bizzy.

Whats left:

Build and install engine (should take about a month or so)
Torque everything down to spec
finish the granada disk swap
finish up the interior
get the body straight and painted(already have someone doing this for me)
Install exhaust
more than likely I will replace the glass while its being painted.

Then I should be on the road. Should being the operative word here. :banana: :spot:

taylor4g63 said:
With those tires out back, theres NO WAY your going to be getting much traction with a built 427. sounds like a sweet ride man, should be killer when u get done.

THAT was another concern...haha. Look at me...I can smoke tires an entire 1/4 mile!! I still have to purchase those Calvert? bars or whatever they are called for the rear. Hopefully they will help. Im fabbing an Xbrace to bolt to my subframes since they are welded in. Hoping to get away with not having a cage -for chassis strength purposes only of course :)

allcarfan said:
Sad,

You know anywhere I can look up prices for complete weber setups? I can only find one place that sells them (Inglese). They want $4500+ for the setup.

Inglese has been around a long time. I remember when he used to beg borrow or steal ANY Webers that he could get his hands on, didn't matter what condition. He really knows his stuff. They have a serious wow factor, but need to be tuned regularly and cost a fortune. You made a good decision, for that kind of money, spent just on induction, you could pay for all your other engine work or maybe get a Paxton.