Weighing my options - gears or exhaust?

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Well, it's getting to be that time. I'm almost to the point of deciding on my next mod. There are a couple things I'm looking to do.

1: - I could get an X-pipe to go with my Magnaflow weld-ins.
2: - I could buy a diablo predator to adjust my car after I get my 4.10's installed.
3: - I could get a whole catback system and an X-pipe.

I'm not sure which step to take though. I know I'd feel the 4.10's a LOT. That would be great, I have to admit. But, I really want to hear my car. I'm looking for an exhaust that I hear all the time, through all RPM ranges and while cruising. I want people to know I'm going by them when they pass by me in the other lane.

Here comes my numerous questions... I definitely want an X-pipe. Should I stick with my welded in Magnaflows and just add an X to them, or should I go with the whole catback system and and X? Will I be losing any HP worth crying about if I don't get the whole catback system?

Also... does the diablo predator allow shiftpoint adjustment and adjustment for new gears in a 2003 GT? Does that include Speedo calibration as well?

I know, it's a lot of questions. The deal is, I'm on a budget, so I can't just go spend $2,500 and get it all done at the same time. I'm doing it in steps, and I'm trying not to cut corners on quality of parts, but maybe cut corners on what I really need to do and what I don't (such as do I really need the whole magnaflow catback, or just my weld-ins I currently have with an x-pipe).

Thanks so much, in advance. :nice: I appreciate it.

**edit: By the way, HP isn't really a big concern for me. I'm not really trying to build my car up to 600hp or anything. I really just want a great, loud sound that, like I said, I hear all the time, especially while cruising. Not a "drone" inside the car, but something I can tell is loud outside the car, you know? I realize I might need to switch mufflers too, because magnaflows may not be loud enough. So, any brand suggestions would be great. Let me know about the Predator too. Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say number 2.

My recommendations:
Don't get anything that isnt stainless steal. I didnt like the weld-in mufflers due to the dumb stock pipe size (2.25, wtf...)

I'd say do magaflow X pipe, magnaflow magnapacks after-cat system... Or if you're COOL like ME, do full SLP, Headers, X pipe, and loudmouth catbacks. :nice:

I would start with the exhaust, it is cheap and you can do it yourself. Plus you see and hear the difference everytime you start up your car. The magnaflows are fine, bolt up an offroad x and let it be. The mufflers won't give you much anyway and the difference between the catback and the weld in's is nothing until you start putting down big big numbers....waste of money to me. Save your money and go buy a upr x pipe for $140 and install yourself, pretty easy install. Then save and put in the gears.

Is UPR going to last though?

cadde300 said:
I would start with the exhaust, it is cheap and you can do it yourself. Plus you see and hear the difference everytime you start up your car. The magnaflows are fine, bolt up an offroad x and let it be. The mufflers won't give you much anyway and the difference between the catback and the weld in's is nothing until you start putting down big big numbers....waste of money to me. Save your money and go buy a upr x pipe for $140 and install yourself, pretty easy install. Then save and put in the gears.

Do you think UPR is a good quality pipe? I've been hearing "you get what you pay for" a lot. I want this to last. I don't want to have to do it again. :shrug: If UPR is as good an X-pipe as any other, then by all means I would rather save the money. If it isn't, I'd like to look into other options. I don't want my midpipe rusting out or anything.

Also, as I mentioned before, the HP isn't really the goal. It's more for sound. I want loud outside the car without the drone inside, if that is possible. I don't know, because I haven't ridden in any other mustangs before. At least not ones with any mods done to them.

Would I get all my sound from a Catback? Or is the whole midpipe plus catback the better option?

I will do the gears. I just really want the sound first. The gears are NEXT month, if I do decide to void my warrany early. :nonono: I already know that the Ford place near me says that "gears void the warranty". I could be waiting on that one. It will only take me about a year and a half to get my warranty out anyway.

Green4.6GT said:
IMO, if its an auto its no question, the 4.30s did a ton more than my or x and flows...

if its a 5 spd, then the choice is closer..

however, the ladies do prefer the loud exaust.... lol

-Ryan

Gotta think about the lady! :nice:

Anyone on the UPR pipe Q?

UPR and mustangtuning.com pipes are decent .... just make sure you take out the factory studs in the manifolds and replace them with regular studs to avoid any leaks .....(factory studs have a shank on them that wont let you tighten up the pipe nearly as good)

Mechanic at local shop says....

The mechanic at my local shop always says for me to put a Bassani X pipe on my car. He says I should get it because it is high quality and won't have as much drone under the car. He says they are just really nice, basically.

The thing is, they are very expensive too, especially when I need a catted one. :(

That's why I ask about the UPR pipe and the Mustang Tuning x pipe. If it's not that big a deal, then I'll go for the lower cost ones, obviously. But if what he is saying is correct, then I'd rather save up and get the 'better' pipe. :shrug:

Also, like I saying, I don't know if I even NEED an x pipe. I just want a loud exhaust that I hear when I'm cruising too. My Magnaflows have a great sound, but only at around 2000 rpms up. Regular cruising, they are quieter than the stock ones! At first I liked that, but after a while, I got tired of hearing these other mustangs around me sound cool when they go by, and mine probably sounding like a V6 or a bone stock GT. :( So, I'm looking for loud, but with a good sound, not a blatty, chuggy, choppy loud. Know what I mean? It's kinda hard to explain. I love the purr of the Magnaflows I have, but they only purr when I'm getting on it, not when I'm just driving.

I don't drive hard, so I barely ever hear my exhaust. I want something I can hear just because I'm driving my car, not something I have to floor to get it to make some noise.

I've been leaning strongly towards an SLP Loudmouth system, because of price and because of a loud sound. I'm a little bit against how 'blatty' the SLP sounds, but, I kind of like it at the same time. So I'm mixed on that one.

I need Magnaflow sound at 3000+ rpms, without the drone IN the car, when I'm just cruising around normally. :D I'm too picky I guess.

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
blatty, blatty, blatty !!!!!!! :D By the way, do the Pro-chamber and weld in 40 series flows. HOLLA. Then do gears with hand held tuner. :nice:

Heh, yeah. You know what I mean? Some people dig that muscle car sound, the one you hear especially out of a Mustang when you put different cams in. They sound to me like they are about to die when they idle though! I prefer the smoother sound.

So. SLP Catback, or Magnapack catback? I've been doing some research, and it seems like those two would be good picks for what I'm looking for. Should I even bother with replacing the midpipe, guys? Whaddya think?

Don't worry. The gears are coming after this exhaust setup. Trust me, it's agony already having the gears. They sit here in my living room, begging to be installed. The only reason they HAVEN'T been put in is because my car is an auto, and I don't have the handheld to program it. Plus, no local shop around here can do it for me either. It sucks! :mad: They can put in the gears, but not recalibrate everything. :rolleyes:

Off road X pass emissions?

I've been looking stuff up all night on this exhaust thing. I've listened to a lot of files on www.mustangexhaust.com, and I'm trying to decide between a 1 chambered flowmaster, the SLP Loudmouth, and Magnapacks. :shrug:

This is a tough decision! :scratch:

I think the Loudmouth would probably live up to its name and be the loudest. What do you guys think? Again, it's kinda got that 'blatty' sound though... I was going to try to get away from that if I could. I'm kinda half-and-half on that though. I kinda like it, I kinda don't. Hard to decide.

I can't spend too much money, so it looks like the Magnapacks are about as high as I'd want to spend. I can get them shipped and all for $459.00. That sound like a good deal?

But, I can get the SLP for $359.99 from Mustang Tuning. And it will definitely be loud, like I'm wanting.

I'm gonna be :puke: if I look at this anymore. I think I'm probably going to go with the Loudmouth. I won't be putting an X pipe on my car until later, if I do at all. Like I said, I'm going for sound, not HP. I was going to do the HP route, but then I just decided I didn't care anymore. The car has 260+ HP now at the flywheel, and it feels strong. I'm going to put 4.10's in, and that'll be all I need to harness that power in the near future. 4.10's and a good exhaust setup and I'll be happy. :nice:

One question: will an off-road X pass emissions? If not, why do so many of you guys have those on your cars? 'Cause if I can pass emissions with an off road X, that changes the ballgame a little bit. Those are a heck of a lot cheaper. :banana: But then there's those darn MIL eliminators which are an extra $50. :damnit:

I'm going to bed. Thanks for all your help guys! Deciding on this exhaust setup is like pulling my teeth out with pliers while I can't sleep because of a headache. :bang:

we put or x's on our cars because they sound badass, and make a crapload of power...

is it possible to pass emissions with an OR X, well yes it is possible, but you probably wont.. what most guys do that have to go to emissions is keep your stock midpipe, and swap it back in for emissions time, that way you get the killer sound and power, and really, its only an hour or 2 of your time to do the swap, no big deal at all :nice:

as for the mil eliminators, you can get the splice in kind on ebay for like 10 bucks.. and they only take about 5 mins to install, while you have the sensors and midpipe out of the car, its simple :nice:

-ryan

Thanks Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I guess that makes up my mind about the O/R X. :( I don't have someone to swap it in-out, as I don't do a lot of car work myself. I install a CAI every now and then, and that's about it. :shrug:

Mustang Tuning is out of stock with the Loudmouth. Of course! I go to order it, and they are out of it. :bang:

I'm going to bed. For real, this time. I might order the Loudmouth from Ebay tomorrow if I find a good dealer. I'd prefer mustang tuning though.

Goodnight!

Red03Mustang said:
I've been looking stuff up all night on this exhaust thing. I've listened to a lot of files on www.mustangexhaust.com, and I'm trying to decide between a 1 chambered flowmaster, the SLP Loudmouth, and Magnapacks. :shrug:

This is a tough decision! :scratch:

I think the Loudmouth would probably live up to its name and be the loudest. What do you guys think? Again, it's kinda got that 'blatty' sound though... I was going to try to get away from that if I could. I'm kinda half-and-half on that though. I kinda like it, I kinda don't. Hard to decide.

I can't spend too much money, so it looks like the Magnapacks are about as high as I'd want to spend. I can get them shipped and all for $459.00. That sound like a good deal?

But, I can get the SLP for $359.99 from Mustang Tuning. And it will definitely be loud, like I'm wanting.

I'm gonna be :puke: if I look at this anymore. I think I'm probably going to go with the Loudmouth. I won't be putting an X pipe on my car until later, if I do at all. Like I said, I'm going for sound, not HP. I was going to do the HP route, but then I just decided I didn't care anymore. The car has 260+ HP now at the flywheel, and it feels strong. I'm going to put 4.10's in, and that'll be all I need to harness that power in the near future. 4.10's and a good exhaust setup and I'll be happy. :nice:

One question: will an off-road X pass emissions? If not, why do so many of you guys have those on your cars? 'Cause if I can pass emissions with an off road X, that changes the ballgame a little bit. Those are a heck of a lot cheaper. :banana: But then there's those darn MIL eliminators which are an extra $50. :damnit:

I'm going to bed. Thanks for all your help guys! Deciding on this exhaust setup is like pulling my teeth out with pliers while I can't sleep because of a headache. :bang:
Prochamber $220 new... Sound badass, very good power gains.

But if yOu like X-pipes... UPR makes a very good and cheap X-pipe.

DONT buy the catback instead of the midpipe!

dkshadow said:
Prochamber $220 new... Sound badass, very good power gains.

But if yOu like X-pipes... UPR makes a very good and cheap X-pipe.

DONT buy the catback instead of the midpipe!

So, don't get the catback? Are you saying that because I have the Magnaflows already welded in, or is there another reason?