Weight of Authentic 18x9 Saleen rim Vs. Replica??

Blk01gt_

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2001
winnipeg, canada
Does anyone know the exact weight of an authentic 18x9 chrome saleen rim? I know the replica's weigh around 32 lbs. I tried calling saleen but the guy on the phone oubviously didn't know what he was talking about. First he told me 50 lbs, then i said that can't be right so he said 35-40 lbs, so i just said thanks and hung up. Anyway, i was thinking the authentic ones probably weigh less than the replica's right? So does anyone know what the authentic 18x9 saleen rim weighs? The 99-04 version btw.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

• Sponsors (?)

joestang98 said:
I would go with the replicas because the chrome on the authentic has a bad rep for peeling

Be careful.

I bought replicas and my wheel is peeling.

I am not pleased. The rims have been on my car for exactly 7 months and I'm already looking into getting them redone.

Dope 97GT said:
Yeah I havent heard to many good things about the authentics I have replicas and they are in perfect condition. Either way they are both gonna be heavy if you get chrome.

Where did you get yours from man? I know the extra weight is supposed to hurt track times, but do you think a set of chrome 18x9's would make my car noticably slower and bogged down just driving around town? (I don't go to the track, but i do like to beat on her and just giver s*** every once in a while....the car i mean....)

My peeling saleen chrome rims were purchased last year at

www.crossroadzdirect.com

they no longer supply the 17s anymore, which was what i got.
they only sell the 18s.

what's even better is i've sent them an email, and have called, resulting in a left message because no one would answer.
and i still have yet to hear back from them.

you got that right, 7 months and the wheel starts peeling.

this forum doesn't allow the necessary tools i need to describe my frustrations right now.

Yeah you should have went with wheel replica brand (ZR) wheels they are very good quality. Takes very little weight to balance up also. The tire company that mounted mine up was very suprised at how well they balanced.

SaleenGT2001 said:
anyone know where i can get some 17x9 saleens? i want some to run DRs but i want the rims to match my front ones.

Discount tire direct.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?yr=2001&wd=17&c=1&pc=57806&rw=9&bp=5-114.3&vid=006603

I'm trying to decide whether to buy these ones from discounttiredirect in 18x9, or the ZR made ones (are the ones from mustangtuning the same as the ZR from wheelreplicas?). I emailed discount tire and they told me their 18x9's are 28lbs, and I know the ZR ones are about 32lbs, so maybe the 4lbs of less weight is better.

I bought mine from mustangtuning.com and they are the ZR wheels and i love them. I have 18x9 and 18x10s. But they are noticably heavier than the 17x9 silver cobra rs i had and killed me at the track. I ran a 2.0 60' time but a horrible 14.8 in the 1/4 and i ran a 14.0 before with the 17s so yeah they slow you down. And for those who dont think that the weight slows you down try it. But im gonna just get a set of MT e/ts DR for the 17s and put them on when I go to the track. I only have a couple pics but here they are.
View attachment 478402
View attachment 478404
View attachment 478406
View attachment 478408
View attachment 478410

sorry about the double post but since my rims are off i figured I would weigh them for you. On my 18x10s I had the tires off cause i need new ones and the rim alone weighed 31lbs. I weighed the 18x9 with a BFGoodrich KDW2 255/40/18 and it weighed 55lbs. Tirerack.com has all the weights off their tires under the spec section but thats a lot of weight your tryin to turn and you loose a lot of power...but they look damn good:nice: