weird noise when i release clutch

rogerz

May 6, 2012
phoenix az
i have a 87 5.0 gt and i noticed that when i release the clutch through all gears it makes a weird clanking noise.and it only happens right as i begin to roll or just shift driving down the street. i have no idea what is causing this if anyone can help or point me in the direction of someone who can id appreciate it

• Sponsors (?)

I had this issue for a while also, I actually felt the clunck through the pedal though, just went away after a while never found out what it was.

Also the clunk can be stress on your drivetrain, i know its loud but try shifting at higher rpms and slower

*edit* not trying to sound like a ass, im sure you can drive better than me

That sounds like the same problem I'm having. I installed a new clutch over the winter and don't remember hearing that sound before that. That's leading me to believe that it might be the throwout or pilot bearing although they're brand new. At first I thought it was just my x pipe rattling off my trans crossmember. After clearancing that the sound remained. It seems to come and go. Everytime I pull the car up on ramps I can never get it to duplicate the noise.

yeah i have had a few people tell me it was the u-joints and a few others say it was motor and trans mounts.

yes even when i am shifting at high rpms it still does it, it is a lot less loud at higher rpms i think due to the engine screaming but it is still there

Had this happen before. Loosen up trans mount bolts, and motor mount bolts. Start the car and do a slow run around the block (let stuff reseat if it's going to). If there's no change then look at U-joints and this:

I'll throw clutch throw out bearing into the mix. Could even be haning up on the bearing retainer if it's got some wear on it.