Weird Noise While Ing Head Scratcher

Chris Lennon

Jan 8, 2017
IMG_6665.JPG
Hey guys again... I've done my research and I came up with nothing so I need the stang family to help me out with this.. I have a 1994 mustang gt 5- speed it's has a completely re done suspension from front to back you name it i did it (now I was being lazy and didn't put the pinion snubber on. Oops ) .. anyhoo after doing all this work I noticed a noise coming from seeming directly underneath the car like a scraping/grinding noise.. at first I was like well maybe it's the dust shields because I moved them but it wasn't that.. this weird noise happens whenever I accelerate and boy let me tell you let someone sit in the passenger sit it gets WORST and louder BUT if I do into neutral and coast the noise is gone!! Then when I accelerate its back...(my clutch feels fine and nice and grippy it was also replaced recently but not buy me the other owner of the car did it BUT WHEN I FIRST GOT THE NOISE WAS NOT THERE ITS BUT MONTHS INTO MY OWNERSHIP) I've kind of narrowed where it's coming from down BUT I could be completely wrong.. seemingly it sounds like it's coming from under the car almost like the drive shaft is rubbing the underside of the car... kind of towards the back of the gearshifter area and the hand brake.. (if I put my hand on the e brake it's almost like I can feel the grind/scraping) which is why I don't believe its suspension related.. all in all I'm not sure.. let me know what you guys think

• Sponsors (?)

Stupid question but have you gotten under the car and looked to see if there is any obvious scrape marks? Look at the drive shaft. Possible the rear brakes are dragging? Pull the rear wheels and see if the inner lip is running somewhere....

IMG_6665.JPG
Hey guys again... I've done my research and I came up with nothing so I need the stang family to help me out with this.. I have a 1994 mustang gt 5- speed it's has a completely re done suspension from front to back you name it i did it (now I was being lazy and didn't put the pinion snubber on. Oops ) .. anyhoo after doing all this work I noticed a noise coming from seeming directly underneath the car like a scraping/grinding noise.. at first I was like well maybe it's the dust shields because I moved them but it wasn't that.. this weird noise happens whenever I accelerate and boy let me tell you let someone sit in the passenger sit it gets WORST and louder BUT if I do into neutral and coast the noise is gone!! Then when I accelerate its back...(my clutch feels fine and nice and grippy it was also replaced recently but not buy me the other owner of the car did it BUT WHEN I FIRST GOT THE NOISE WAS NOT THERE ITS BUT MONTHS INTO MY OWNERSHIP) I've kind of narrowed where it's coming from down BUT I could be completely wrong.. seemingly it sounds like it's coming from under the car almost like the drive shaft is rubbing the underside of the car... kind of towards the back of the gearshifter area and the hand brake.. (if I put my hand on the e brake it's almost like I can feel the grind/scraping) which is why I don't believe its suspension related.. all in all I'm not sure.. let me know what you guys think

That was a tough read. You really should consider breaking up thought topics in into paragraphs.

If I understand your post correctly: While driving, you often hear a scrapping noise. The scraping noise appears when you're putting torque on the drive-train then goes away when you let up -- Is this correct?

Question: When you have your foot on the gas and the noise comes, does the noise change with engine RPM or vehicle speed?

Reactions: 1 user
My car was hitting the spare tire area with the differential when I lowered it and forgot to put the bracket for the snubber to hit. Another possibility is the driveshaft hitting the e-brake cable if you happen to have a aluminum driveshaft in the car. That's quite common on lowered cars.

You're a genius @2L8ULUZ2 The directions did say it was very important(pinion snubber) but I was super tired when I finished the suspension then it's location wasn't the easiest to get to so I said "hey I'll only know it's not there" BIG MISTAKE thank you I'll put it on... lesson learned: don't cut corners

It was the pinion snubber... the reason I felt the grind through my e brake is because the driveshaft was taking chucks out of the mounting bracket ‍♂️.. thanks again everyone for your help!