WEIRD NOISE???

t3t4_4g63

Jul 2, 2007
I JUST PUT A NEW ALUMINUM RADIATOR IN MY 86 SVO AND SOME NEW TIRES ON IT AND TOOK IT FOR MY FIRST DRIVE. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID IT WOULD GRIND IN SECOND BUT ONLY IF YOU WERE TRYING TO POWER SHIFT. SO I ALREADY KNEW I WAS GOING TO NEED TO DO SOME TRANNY WORK. BUT THE FIRST TIME I DROVE IT, IT DROVE FINE. A FEW HOURS LATER I CAME BACK AND TO PUT SOME NEW PLUGS AND WIRES IN IT. I DECIDED TO TAKE IT FOR ONE MORE DRIVE TO SEE IF I COULD NOTICE A DIFFERENCE WHEN I WAS DONE.

1ST PROBLEM- ITS REALLY HARD TO TAKE OFF IN FIRST. ITS ALMOST LIKE THE BRAKES ARE LOOKED UP OR SOMETHING.
2ND- I PULLED OUT ON THE ROAD, DIDNT GET ON IT OR ANYTHING AND JUST KINDA DROVE SLOW. SHIFTING AT ABOUT 3-3.5. WHEN I GOT INTO THIRD IT ACTED LIKE IT DIDNT WANT TO GO. I COULD PUSH THE PEDAL ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR AND IT WOULDNT HARDLY DO ANYTHING. AT THE SAME TIME IT WAS MAKING SOME KINDA OF RATTELING NOISE? I COULDNT TELL IF IT WAS COMING FROM THE DRIVE SHAFT OR THE TRANNY?? IF NEVER OWNED A REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR SO I HAVE NO IDEA! SO ANYWAY, I DROP IT BACK INTO 2ND AND IT KINDA PICKS BACK UP AGAIN. WHILE STILL MAKING THE NOISE. I COULD TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE GAS OR PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND IT DIDNT MAKE ANY NOISE, ONLY WHEN I DRIVE. I CAN REV. IT UP AND IT SOUNDS FINE.
3RD- I STARTED TO SMELL SMOKE!!I GOT OUT A POPPED THE HOOD AND THERE WAS SMOKE COMING UP FROM BEHIND THE ENGINE ON THE DRIVER SIDE. I COULDNT SEE EXACTLY WERE IT WAS COMING FROM. I GOT BACK IN AND DROVE IT BACK TO THE SHOP. THEN I LOOKED UNDER THE CAR AND SAW SMOKE COMING OFF OF THE TRANNY. BY THEN IT WAS DARK AND I WAS TO PISSED TO MESS WITH IT!
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS? WHEN I GET THE TRANNY REBUILT SHOULD THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEMS?? PLEASE HELP ME OUT ANY WAY YOU CAN. THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

i havent put the wires or plugs in yet. im not sure about the clutch being bad? im sure it is. i could rev. it just fine, and even in first gear it drove fine until i put it in third then it started making that noise. after that it started doing it in all gears.

What did the smoke smell like? If it smelled oily, it was probably fluid leaking out, if it smelled really gross like burning brakes, then it could be the clutch. It almost sounds like the transmission is binding up internally and causing your clutch to slip and burn. Check the tranny's fluid level and fluid quality. Refill it with ATF tranny fluid (eventhough it's a manual)

it smelled like both oil and clutch. and about the brakes being locked up, if i just replace all the rotors and pads should i be alright? does anybody know a good site to pick up a centerforce stage 1?

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO. ON WHATS GOING ON WITH MY CAR?? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE THE WEEKEND SO I CAN EITHER PULL THE TRANNY OR FIX THE PROBLEM WITHOUT PULLING IT OUT!!

Ok, this really could be a multitude of things here. One thing to eliminate, are you losing oil or leaving oil puddles on the ground? If yes, then your rear main seal could have failed and contaminated your clutch with oil. If you're not losing oil or leaving puddles, then it's time to look at the transmission. To me, it sounds like some bearing or friction surface has failed somewhere and is binding and causing the clutch to slip. Regardless, if you have noise coming from your transmission or any kind of rough shifting, it's time to yank the tranny out and fix it. Rebuild kits are available for T5's through Ford Racing. I would say drop the tranny and inspect your rear seal, clutch, pressure plate, linkage, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and transmission front bearing retainer surface. You'll probably find a burnt clutch by the sounds of it. After removing the transmission from the car, try turning the input shaft by hand and shift it through the gears. It should be fairly easy to turn. If it's really hard to turn by hand, then something is definitely binding internally. Pop the top off and see what's up.

alright, thats what i thought it would come down to. its not leaking from anywhere, its just makeing the noise, not wanting to go, and smoking. i guess i have my saturday planned. thanks man!

You need to do some checking yourself...we can't help much with the info you gave.

You need to figure out WHERE the oil was coming from (my guess is the turbo outlet), try to figure out a more accurate place where the rattle was coming from (could be the turbo, could be the cat shield, could be detonation, could be the throwout bearing, etc.).

i tried to figure ot where the rattling was coming from, it is really hard to tell. how i checked was...

i was driving and my friend opened the car door and put his head under the car and tried to find out. thats the only way we knew how to check because it only makes the noise when i drive.

the dont think its leaking anything......i just know that there isnt any kind of puddle on the ground.