weird noise?

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
A few days ago I noticed my car making a weird noise, its for sure coming from the engine bay but I'm not too sure what it is. I first noticed it Thursday morning going to school and then again coming home. It is only something I noitce while stopped at a stop light or when the car is at idle (and with the radio off or really low). I figured something to do with the belt, maybe a pulley, the fan clutch, but i'm not sure. Friday morning I started the car and heard it again but this time it was very faint, when I popped the hood I looked around but everything seemed ok- i didn't have much time to look at it and couldn't really hear it. I was away all Friday and Saturday so didn't drive the car at all. Today, I drove over to my gf's and sure enough I could hear it, this time it was louder. Then we went out to dinner and at a stop light I turned the radio off, both of us could hear the noise good(louder than before). I will hopefully get time to check it out tomorrow but I need to drive my car to school so hopefully it will be ok. The sound it makes is sort of a clunky noise, but sounds like its rotating (thats why I'm thinking on the belt or pulley, fan clutch) its sort of hard to explain the noise. My car is a 93 gt, it is all stock except full exhaust, k&n. It has been my daily driver for the last 7.5 years and has about 115k miles on it. I was talking to a guy with a saleen at the gas station the other day and he said to check the damper-something about how 302s with high mileage are known to have sprung or spun dampers something like that.

Anyways, anyone have any idea what it could be or what to check. I will take a look at it tmrw after school and get back with more information. I don't have my car with me right now to hear the noise again, wish I could give a better description.

• Sponsors (?)