Weird oil level readings Help!!! o.0

CobraGT89

Sep 17, 2009
Cleveland OH
I changed my oil and was reading more than full at 4 quarts ( past the full cross hatch marker on the dipstick) For the sake of caution I didnt add the 5th quart, I was afraid of blowing my seals.

Now about a month later still reads full but check oil light is coming on.
Just to double check, I check oil level when engine is cold right? 5.0 302 calls for 5 quarts?

I just checked my oil again it was reading a quart low, I added a quart and now I'm what looks about a quart past full again. The check oil light did go out though.

Total amount of oil is 5 quarts, the one I just added was the 5th from the oil change.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I assume this is for your '89.

The stock dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate. The reason your oil light is coming on is because you ARE running a quart too low. The next time you change your oil, add all 5 quarts and mark where it ends up on the dipstick. This is your new full mark.

Thanks for the quick response.

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if your Mustang has any Cobra emblems or markings?

The reason I ask is because I have an 89 GT that says Cobra on the title. I know that they only did the Cobras in 93. I did some reading and saw that the Mustangs sold in Canada were called Cobras but were the same as stock GT's sold in the US.

Also remember that if you check the level before you start it (after you change the oil), that the filter is dry and can suck up almost a quart of oil.

Thanks for the quick response.

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if your Mustang has any Cobra emblems or markings?

The reason I ask is because I have an 89 GT that says Cobra on the title. I know that they only did the Cobras in 93. I did some reading and saw that the Mustangs sold in Canada were called Cobras but were the same as stock GT's sold in the US.

Mine doesn't have any cobra emblems or such. However there are a lot of "Cobra GT's" running around here in the great white north. My guess would be that you do have a Canuck stang.