weird popping noise

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
ok when i give it some gas using the throttle body i noticed sometimes it has a popping or more like a small explosion in the intake and it smells weird.

wat on earth could cause this.

• Sponsors (?)

thats another problem then cuz you still have cats...with no smog pump you have unbernt gases in the cats becuz they are not heating up properly...You either need to go catless or get a smog pump...

does it feel like the car is choked up? the cats can die pretty quickly without the smog pump

but from what you said it sounds like timing. hows the balencer look? any rubber sticking out? wierd vibrations?

ok i think i was reading my timing pointer wrong. i got the one that came with my ford racing balancer. it has a hole in it and it has kind of a pointer at the end. when i put it on and checked it my 10 degree mark lined up perfectly with the hole so i figured that was wat to look through. well since you guys said it sounded like the timing i went out and checked it again, and i set it at the pointer at the end.

this was the first time i have ever changed the timing on my car. and the bolt wasnt hard at all to turn, so i'm kinda thinking it may have gotten loose and thats the reason it juststarted to act up.

but now i dont hear the popping noise and my pinging i sometimes had didnt happen when i test drove it just now. so maybe the problem is fixed.

i'm still pretty set on buying an offroad h-pipe and the summit one is pretty inexpensive so i'll probably go ahead and get it so i dont have to worry about the cats also

hey when i lowered the timing to the stock 10 degrees. the car runs like total crap.

it wants to die and has NO power wat so ever. and its bucking like its missing. all plugs look good and the wires look good too.

i'm ordering an h-pipe to take care of the cats, i'm really hoping thats it.

i replaced all the plugs and plug wires hoping i just missed something. but its still bucking real bad and acting like its missing.

i got my h-pipe friday but it will probably be this weekend before i can install it because of work.