Drivetrain Weird Transmission/clutch Noise

interceptor7

Aug 11, 2006
Hi yall,
So, for the last few weeks I've been hearing grinding noises from my transmission (1993 GT, T5). What's weird is the circumstances when it does it. Basically, if I'm coasting to a stop, with a gear selected (any gear), and the clutch disengaged/pedal pressed, when the car slows down to about 15 miles or so there is a grinding noise similar to when you screw up a shift and grind a gear.

It does not happen if I'm coasting in neutral, or if the clutch is engaged/pedal up. Also goes away under power. For example, I'm slowing down to turn a corner, shift to second and keep the clutch disengaged, it will start grinding once the car is traveling slow enough. As soon as I engage the clutch to start accelerating, or if I shift to neutral, it goes away.

Also bears mentioning that I have a MM firewall cable adjuster, cable, and quadrant.

I'm hoping it's the throwout bearing or the bearing retainer sleeve, but would really appreciate any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone have any ideas on this?
I plan to go ahead and replace the pilot and throwout bearings, and the TO bearing retainer, (since I figure if I have to replace the transmission I'd be doing that anyway) but was hoping to get some opinions before going through dropping the transmission in my daily driver.
Thanks!