Welding in SFCs tomorrow (or Sunday)

lemosley1973

Doing something with a heavy tranny now
Feb 18, 2019
Clover, SC
How thick is the metal? Seems to be 16gauage - is that right?

Has anyone installed SFCs on their convertible themselves?
I have about a 1/4" gap between the rear factory connectors and subframe. Maximum says it should be welded, but they don't sit flush with the subframe. I have the car sitting on the factory rear subframe connectors with jackstands, but they haven't moved much. Maybe there are still some rivet pieces between the subframe and connector.

I suppose I can drill the rest of the rivets out of the factor connector and weld them back in.

Dang, I like having a welder, even if I can't do it for crap yet.

• Sponsors (?)

I have welded subframes in a convertible. The Jack stands should be under the axle tubes and under the front control arms as close to the tire as they'll go. The factory gt control arms have plates welded on them that are perfect.

Before welding them in you must make sure the car is level and the doors open and close easily. Check the gaps on the doors.

The factory reinforcement plates can be left alone with some styles....or a little trimming with a cut off wheel may be necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
I built wooden stands and the car is sitting on it's wheels, but the rear reinforcment plates that go from rocker panel to the subbframe are supposed to be pushed up close to the rear subframe and welded (after drilling out the 3 rivets toward the rear of the car. Then the SFCs go over top that and are welded to the plates. This is all per Maximum Motorsports instructions.

It seems like the plates won't move closer to the subframe, but I may not have enough of the cars weight on them to push them up. I'll try it again, but I may have to drill the remaining rivets out and pull the plates to see what's under them. Maybe the '88s are a little different than the one they used for instructions, but it's MM and Jack Hidley says they should press against the subframe (I contacted them, too).

Thanks!

I just did the MM SFC on my hatch, but I remember reading in the instructions, that for the convertibles something needed to be cut off? Or am I remembering wrong?