Welding question.......

i was just outside welding, and i go to strike the arc like always, and the tungsten tip just burns......so i thought maybe that tungsten was crap, so i tried another, and same thing happened.....rechecked all my settings (tank open to 18 psi on the regulator, and the welder set to 55)......try it again, and same thing happens, and i just welded 2 nights ago so idk wtf is going on.....so i just got pissed, stopped attemping to weld, and started to grind the tungsten tips back, and i was so ****in pissed that i grabbed a red hot tungsten and burnt the **** outta my finger.....so anyone know wtf is happening??.... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

- If your welding steel you want the tungsten to a pencil point..
- Make sure the tungsten is clean, secure to the collect.
- Try more gas
- Obviously once you hit the metal with tungsten, it's contaminated and in need of a regrind.

I just started TIG'ing , so these are just suggestions. I've noticed the tungsten will start to ball up and melt if it becomes contaminated.

thx guys...i was jsut a ****in idiot today, and i crossed the wires on the welder...i keep thinking that that the ground clamp is negative and the gun is positive, i was just retarted today.....when i took out the welder again and got settled, i did it rite, and realized wtf i did.......but thanks guys and glad to see that more people are TIG'ing to quote oink.....its so much more useful than even MIG welding, and way better than oxy-acetalyne...... :nice: