Well F Me Running (trans Noise Problem)

MFE92

10 Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Phoenix
After my last track day, I noticed 3rd gear making a different sound than the rest. So did 5th, but 3rd was more prominent. I hemmed and hawed about it and then said :leghump: it, I have track days coming up, I have downtime over the holidays, I have a freshly rebuilt trans under my work bench, and if I can fix something wrong with this trans before it completely grenades like usual, I'll save myself a lot of dough.

I have the car on stands, the catback dropped, the H-pipe out, the driveshaft out, the trans drained. After I take out the shifter, I'm 2 connectors, the speedo cable, the crossmember, and then 4 bolts away from having the trans out.

I pop the shift boot and take the shift handle out, and then look down...and laugh. Gee, I wonder if this is why 3rd and 5th "make more noise" than 2nd and 4th?

image_zps828b178b.jpg

:ROFL:

Well, I came this far, the trans is coming out anyway, because I can't be sure that's all it is. But goddammit if that's all it was. The gap in the shift boot doesn't open up until the shifter is pushed forward, such as 3rd and 5th. I know how much of a difference a torn boot makes, which is why I replaced the factory one with this one a few years back. If I wasn't a dumbass I would have checked for this first before pulling the trans. :headsmack:

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

After my last track day, I noticed 3rd gear making a different sound than the rest. So did 5th, but 3rd was more prominent. I hemmed and hawed about it and then said **** it, I have track days coming up, I have downtime over the holidays, I have a freshly rebuilt trans under my work bench, and if I can fix something wrong with this trans before it completely grenades like usual, I'll save myself a lot of dough.

I have the car on stands, the catback dropped, the H-pipe out, the driveshaft out, the trans drained. After I take out the shifter, I'm 2 connectors, the speedo cable, the crossmember, and then 4 bolts away from having the trans out.

I pop the shift boot and take the shift handle out, and then look down...and laugh. Gee, I wonder if this is why 3rd and 5th "make more noise" than 2nd and 4th?

image_zps828b178b.jpg

:ROFL:

Well, I came this far, the trans is coming out anyway, because I can't be sure that's all it is. But goddammit if that's all it was. The gap in the shift boot doesn't open up until the shifter is pushed forward, such as 3rd and 5th. I know how much of a difference a torn boot makes, which is why I replaced the factory one with this one a few years back. If I wasn't a dumbass I would have checked for this first before pulling the trans. :headsmack:

lol ...... newb

That will teach you for buying those GMS shifter boots. :rlaugh:

Lol! My wife and friends are always bewildered at the subtle changes in NVH that I notice, and it's always funny when it's something dumb like this. You drive these cars long enough and you know exactly what every little squeak and rattle is and what's OK and what's not.

The new trans is bolted in, lots of work left to go. I haven't cracked the old trans open yet and I haven't put a dial indicator on it but endplay still seems nonexistent. I've sent the fluid off to Blackstone to see if they see anything strange. When I get the car running again I'm going to re-use the old boot first to see if it still makes the noise.

Yes...well, two actually :D

I've never upgraded because by the time I'm done with new shifters and driveshaft mods and etc etc etc I'm into it for more than the car is worth. I guess I'd rather spend a weekend every year replacing a blown up T5 LOL

Yes...well, two actually :D

I've never upgraded because by the time I'm done with new shifters and driveshaft mods and etc etc etc I'm into it for more than the car is worth. I guess I'd rather spend a weekend every year replacing a blown up T5 LOL

Haha yea, I feel your pain. It's impossible to upgrade the trans in these cars without dropping money on something that attaches to it.