Well, my II has the Boss 429 scoop on it.

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
Good lord 351w's sit tall. Although I'm sure the air-gap intake doesn't help a lot.

I got like a 3 - 3.5" Boss 429 fiberglass hood scoop to fix my clearance issues. We put it on today. Still needs bondo/paint.

DCP04527.JPG

DCP04531.JPG

Rest of the pictures at http://www.starshadow.com/~gael/pictures/scoop/

The crap on the hood is resin that my dad used to make it stay on, we got it all off after I took the pics. So yeah, the air cleaner is rubbing the top of the hood scoop. I plan to try to find a new air cleaner, since this one sucks anyway apparently. I like the K&N X-Stream, but it's like $120.

It's supposedly shorter than 3" tall. By a quarter of an inch.

• Sponsors (?)

I love those scoops, I think they look killer. I had one on my Stang years ago, (along with the orange "5.0" decals from a King) but when I installed the newest motor with the Victor JR, phenolic spacer and K&N, it became too tall for that scoop, and I was forced to change the hood and scoop. Ugh.

Moroso makes a really cool very very low-profile ALUMINUM air cleaner, which would work nicely with a K&N element inside. I like the aluminum cleaners because they're super light, and also transfer heat quickly, which may or may not pull a noticeable amount of heat from the carb and cause it to stay cooler. (every little bit helps)

Blue Thunder said:
Moroso makes a really cool very very low-profile ALUMINUM air cleaner, which would work nicely with a K&N element inside. I like the aluminum cleaners because they're super light, and also transfer heat quickly, which may or may not pull a noticeable amount of heat from the carb and cause it to stay cooler. (every little bit helps)
Beautiful, I just found the one you were talking about, it's supposedly 2.5" tall, with a 3" element. I'm going to try to check it out tomorrow, thanks a ton! :nice:

I had clearance issues on my 79 w/ a 460. Found a 14" by 3" with a 2" recessed base on e-bay cheap. Was the best fitting. I tried the bubblebee eye, but it was too tall.

Wanted to grab the holley hi-tech but way too much money.

dmoody said:
Wow, what a tight fit! How come the battery is on the driver's side?

d
Headers would've hit it in the stock location, and instead of moving it to the rear and having to buy more stuff to make it legal for drag racing, we decided to put it somewhere else in the engine bay that had room.