Well, Scarebird front discs DON'T WORK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Rusty67 said:
I remember you now. You are the guy that never posts on the message board to help anyone out and then comes on here to plug his new products and leave.

I also remember when you posted about these new brackets and I asked why not use the H/K 4 piston setup.

Let me tell you something about that setup. Its a damn fine piece of equipment and it is NOT unreliable. Expensive ? Yes. People don't understand that those calipers need more service then a regular caliper. They neglect to do the regular service on them and they fail. They are not unreliable. They are fantastic. Not to mention they are an 11" rotor and a factory setup. Why bother puting bowtie parts on a Ford when you could use factory stuff thats better or an after market kit that exceeds the factory stuff.

You want an opinion based on facts ? Here it is. A single piston floating caliper is inferior when compaired to a 4 piston fixed caliper.

I think plenty of people care how I FEEL because I've been posting on this board and involved in discussions to HELP people instead of trying to belittle them for not knowing what a celebrity caliper is.

Sorry, you are wrong on two counts. 1st, we do get quite a few direct questions from this board- which we answer to the best of our knowledge. Just because we do not post here all the time does not mean we do not answer questions. 2nd- If the K-H setup was so great? why did Ford pitch it in 68? Jjaguar had two piston opposed, then 4, then went to single slider- wonder why? Ford currently uses PBR's- generally acknowledged to be among the best production calipers- sliders once again. We deal with a prominent NW Mustang restorer- they will have nothing to do with the stock K-H setup, unless the customer demands it. Problem with the KH's; they leak, as they did on the Mopars and GM's that used them.

"facts are stubborn things" - V. I. Lenin

4-piston calipers are good when everything is right, but if the rotor becomes a little warped, it creates problems with "knock-back" where the warped part of the rotor slams the pistons back into the bores of the calipers.

A floating caliper, on the other hand, has the ability to keep the piston/brake pad in contact with the rotor even it it's slightly warped, because the caliper can move back-and-forth on the caliper's anchor plate guides.

In the original K/H 4-piston calipers, there was lots of problems with the steel pistons seizing up in the caliper's bore. With the stainless steel replacement pistons though, this has pretty much eliminated that problem.

Both types of brake setups have their advantages/disadvantages. It just becomes a matter of preference what the individual prefers to use.

Reactions: 1 user
the reason ford went to the single piston floatinh caliper was cost, it was simply cheaper to use that style of brake even though they had to make to a different caliper for them.

if both stock disc brakes systems are in proper working order the 4 piston K/H should out perform the single piston Bendix style brakes. from a longevity standpoint the single piston Bendix will probably last longer. so there are advantages to both systems. that said most race teams use a 4 piston (or more) fixed caliper over any type of floating caliper because they actually stop the car better. in fact a lot of vintage racers even switch to the larger lincoln/t-bird 4 piston calipers for vintage racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.