Engine WELP!... blown headgasket. Now what?

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
I recently had my headers off and saw a discrepency with my tubes.. cylinder 8 looked different than the rest. I'm not sure if it indicates HG, but it bothered me enough to get a block tester. Yup... no good. I have a few questions. Since i really don't know when headgasket blew I'd like to do a compression check. Does there need to be oil in the motor to do so? I just drained it to send out to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Also, what headgaskets do you guys like? I was looking at the Ford Performance Competition ones on LMR, part # M-6051-A302. Any experience with these? Also, I am not sure if this car has been rebuilt.. do i need to be mindful of cylinder bore if its been bored over?

Thanks!
IMG_8003.JPG

IMG_8002.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

(cylinder 7 on the left, 8 on the right)
IMG_8056.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Also, for what it's worth. My car never had any over heating issues.. per say. However upon first start up temp would spike to 240 ish, then immediately back down once it got there. It would remain at 180 for the remainder of the time that the coolant was warm. I knew this wasn't right but didn't think it was a big deal and attributed it to a gauge issue, air bubble, or thermostat opening slow. I did notice the coolant reservoir was dry at the end of the season and added a little coolant (radiator full) but that's when I started to suspect I had a bigger issue.

It very well good be a head gasket, but I would follow your original plan, do a compression test, a leak down test. And I’d add a pressure test to the cooling system to rule out an intake leak etc

Reactions: 1 user
It very well good be a head gasket, but I would follow your original plan, do a compression test, a leak down test. And I’d add a pressure test to the cooling system to rule out an intake leak etc

I was under the impression if it failed the block tester there was combustion gasses getting into the cooling system via a bad head gasket or cracked block? I'll take your advice to do a leakdown test though, for sure. I tried to do a pressure test after, but the kit I had didn't have a specific adapter for my radiator and the universal one didn't seal. I gave up because I thought the block test was definitive.

While I am a firm believer in the hydrocarbon testers. I have seen them be somewhat inaccurate from time to time. It is more than likely a small leak in a head gasket, but with it running like a champ and no mixing of any fluids with a barely noticeable fluid loss. I would explore other options like a leaking intake gasket washing a cylinder, before tearing it down to a short block . But I’m also kinda lazy and cylinders heads can be heavy lol
:demon:

#8 huh? Well, a failed intake gasket can leak coolant into the intake runner where it gets sucked into the cylinder. In this case the car may still run fine. The coolant gradually leaking in cleans the carbon out and makes that cylinders plug look clean like yours does.

Felpro makes intake gaskets with and without steel core. The steel core ones hold up good. The non steel ones fail on a regular basis.

Reactions: 2 users
If it turns out to be a HG , I recommend Felpro 9333pt1 gaskets.
I've used them on my n/a 302 , supercharged 302 and now my 393.

Thank you sir!!

#8 huh? Well, a failed intake gasket can leak coolant into the intake runner where it gets sucked into the cylinder. In this case the car may still run fine. The coolant gradually leaking in cleans the carbon out and makes that cylinders plug look clean like yours does.

Felpro makes intake gaskets with and without steel core. The steel core ones hold up good. The non steel ones fail on a regular basis.

Awesome, good tip about the steel core intake gaskets.. those are the ones I will go with. So, say that the intake gasket has failed... would that still make it fail a block test?

For your first question, a quick compression test will most likely be fine without oil as there will be residual on the bearings, but 4-5 qts of cheap oil is a rather small expense...

• Agree
My compression tester arrived today and I was able to test the car. Here are my results:
1- 155
2 - 160
3 - 155
4 - 155
5 - 150
6 - 155
7 - 155
8 - 145
Tests were preformed on my cold car, 5 compression strokes, throttle body open, and battery on the charger. Anyone have any thoughts? All numbers are within 10%, but 8 (the suspect cylinder) is right at the line. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Well, my oil analysis came back. Quite a bit of coolant in the oil. I'm going to tear it down and have a look. I plan on doing head gaskets though. In case it helps anyone, I'll list part numbers to all the gaskets I'm using, most of which were recommended in this thread (thanks guys!).

Fel-pro 1250s3 Steel laminated lower intake gaskets
Fel-pro 9333pt1 head gaskets
Fel-pro 1415 header gaskets
Fel-pro vs13264T valve cover gaskets
Edelbrock 3832 Upper intake gasket

If you are going to tear it down that far, make it worth your while.
Have the heads valve jobbed and the lower intake port matched to the heads.
At least you will get a little power for troubles.

Well, my oil analysis came back. Quite a bit of coolant in the oil. I'm going to tear it down and have a look. I plan on doing head gaskets though. In case it helps anyone, I'll list part numbers to all the gaskets I'm using, most of which were recommended in this thread (thanks guys!).

Fel-pro 1250s3 Steel laminated lower intake gaskets
Fel-pro 9333pt1 head gaskets
Fel-pro 1415 header gaskets
Fel-pro vs13264T valve cover gaskets
Edelbrock 3832 Upper intake gasket
:poo:ty news.
All the pn listed are good, except for the header gaskets. I’d use aluminum or mls gaskets

If you are going to tear it down that far, make it worth your while.
Have the heads valve jobbed and the lower intake port matched to the heads.
At least you will get a little power for troubles.

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you elaborate a little regarding the valve job? Sorry, still learning about all this. Not sure I wan't to invest a whole lot of money into this unknown mileage motor.. tests also included more than average metals in the oil. Not enough to be concerned, its expected as it's likely a stock bottom end. But enough to know sometime down the road a stroker will likely happen. I will check the intake/head port alignment.. hopefully they are close, both being edelbrock units.