Welp, One Of My Spark Plugs Hole Is Stripped.anybody Had A Similar Situation That Could Help?

metalmuskee

Dec 19, 2017
So the cylinder 6 on my 07 mustang gt had a misfire. Went to midas to have it checked out. Turns out, the only thing holding the spark plug is the coil. Was given two options: 1. try to fix hole with a helicoil (cost: $400/was told there is a 50% chance it will not work.) 2. go ahead and replace the head for $2500. Helocoil option is a gray area: many have fixed it doing so, but there are those who don't like it. What do you guys think? Any other options? perhaps suggestion on shops instead of midas?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet
I moved this to the tech threads to get some advice on your issue, that said, the shop I hang around has done this helicoil repair on several vehicles, mostly trucks, can't say I'd have midas do it if they have a 50% success rate.
Others may chime in with some advice.

Welcome to stangnet
I moved this to the tech threads to get some advice on your issue, that said, the shop I hang around has done this helicoil repair on several vehicles, mostly trucks, can't say I'd have midas do it if they have a 50% success rate.
Others may chime in with some advice.

Thank you! maybe they just said there is a 50/50 chance just incase it didnt go well. Either way, maybe someone can suggest a shop in the north Dallas,Tx area.

Thank you! maybe they just said there is a 50/50 chance just incase it didnt go well. Either way, maybe someone can suggest a shop in the north Dallas,Tx area.

I've done this repair on multiple 5.4 2-valve heads in the trucks, never had to do one on your cylinder head. But with that being said, ive never not successfully repaired one. I would suggest not using a heli-coil but using a "time-sert" repair insert. They are much more robust, rarely ever back out, are stronger, and tend to seal better. But ive also heard of people using heli-coils successfully. A good shop should be able to repair this.

Reactions: 1 user
Went to midas to have it checked out. Turns out, the only thing holding the spark plug is the coil. Was given two options: 1. try to fix hole with a helicoil (cost: $400/was told there is a 50% chance it will not work.)

Only a 50% chance that a helicoil will work and they call themselves Midas, where everything they touch is supposed to turn into gold? ;)