Went from O/R X to stock H - performance issues now

dpjedi

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2000
Plant City FL (east of Tampa)
Can anyone think of, or has heard of, any reason why going from an off-road X-pipe to the stock H-pipe (with cats) would cause performance issues? The battery was disconnected for 20min and it seemed to help a bit, but it still acts a bit strange under load. Like it hesitates and sputters a bit above 1500-2000 RPM. Any info appreciated. This is on a 96GT 5spd.

• Sponsors (?)

Darkhorse845 said:
Yes you will loss power but, not enough to feel! Why would
you do that anyway?

Going from an off road X back to the stock catted h-pipe will be very noticable, especially on a 96'.

I don't know why your car would be sputter though?

Hey guys, here's an update on the situation...

After getting home from putting the stock H-pipe back on I took the car out again. It finally seemed to smooth out, but then the CEL came on. I still don't think it is firing quite right, but at least it isn't having the pronounced hesitations that it was having. Now it's like it just isn't getting a good clean firing. I do have to say that the low end torque seems stronger tho. 2nd and 3rd are pulling nicely between 2k and 4k.

So this morning I went by Autozone and had them read the CEL codes. It was showing the following codes... P1443 Auxillary Emission Control, P0141 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1, and P0402 EGR Flow Excessive. Then I had them erase the codes, went about 2 miles and got some gas, and then went about another mile and the CEL came back on. Since I was on my way to work I haven't had the codes read again yet, but will do shortly to see if they are the same or not.

Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing these codes?! Any danger in damaging anything by continuing to drive with it like this?!

Also, as a side note... Any recommendations on an after market H-pipe with hi-flow cats?

Thanks for the help,
Jay

You might verify that all O2 sensors are properly plugged in and weren't damaged at all during the install.

Is it possible that something actually got inside the H pipe before it was installed - some debris of some sort that got in while it was stored - that is now clogging a catalyst? Might be worthwhile pulling the H and checking it, especially the driver's side; an increase in exhaust backpressure caused by a blockage might account for the increased EGR flow (EGR is tapped off the driver's side manifold.)

Can't think of too much else.