Went to the NMRA event in Fontana this weekend

wythors

Get off my lawn!!!
Founding Member
May 17, 2000
C Addle
So the Wife and I decided to drive the Saleen from Seattle to LA for our vacation this year to check out the inaugural NMCA/NMRA event at Auto Club Raceway in Fontana. We had a great drive down, cruising Highway 1 from Carmel, through Big Sur and staying in Santa Barbara.

View attachment 181860

Traffic was light on 1 and I got to do some really spirited driving on one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the country. The next day we visited The Peterson Automotive Museum (very cool) and the NHRA Motorsports Museum (even cooler).

nhra1.jpg

On the weekend, we went to the NMCA/NMRA event in Fontana. Now, I've seen pics of the the other NMRA events around the country in the Mustang mags, and I was expecting something big. Up here in our little corner of the country, we have Mega Ford Weekend up in the little town of Mission, BC and it draws about 130 racers and a hundred or so cars for the car show. Being in LA area, with a population of over 15,000,000 people, and being a nationally promoted event, my expectations were quite high. The event itself was exceptionally well put together. There was a great midway with lots of vendors. We had a nice talk with the guys from Maximum Motorsports. Edelbrock was there in full force. Mickey Thompson had a huge trailer. Lots of food vendors. Lots of beer. Great weather. With all that, I don't think they had anywhere near 100 people racing, probably more like 65 or 70, and only about that many cars showed up for the show. What the heck LA? We get more cars than that at the weekend cruise in at the drive in. We had 300 cars and over 5000 people show up at Pacific Raceways for Pinks All Out a couple of years. Huge kudos for the folks at Promedia for putting on a fantastic event. A huge kick in the pants to the LA car enthusiasts for wasting a great opportunity. We drove 1,300 miles to the best event that nobody went to.

track.jpg

They need to bring this to Seattle and we'll show LA how it's done.

• Sponsors (?)

to me personally its come down between do i take a day off and go to the events or make money to pay my bills with the cost of living here in L.A its a tough choice at times.......but thats just me.......... :shrug: ........but i dont know how many people living out here in L.A are in the same boat