went to track last night... ran slower CRAP lol

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
heya guys got to the track last night with my new engine, the car ran strong and felt nice but only managed 95 mph traps.

my best speed on my stock engine was 99mph.
i drive it like a madmad, didnt miss any shifts and even powershifted a couple tiems and couldnt seem to get any higher than a 95.36 mph...

best time last night was 14.2397 @95 with a 1.9869 60', for what i have done that doesnt seem right at all.

i ran a 13.9 with a stock engine and my car is faster now than it was but was slower.
best 60ft was 1.9 and that was launching at the rev limiter just about and it hooked pretty nice.

my drag radials (275/50 quicktime hoosiers). were Bald and i am suprised they didnt explode, i doubt that would contribute to low traps.. the tires hooked good, but felt strange, like there was a bog at first. My old DRs would just flat let me LEAVE the line it felt like....

only thing other than that is a smal tick i have which i suspect is a lifter, car runs smooth with the tick. would a bad lifter cause that much power loss??

sort of dissapointed in the new engine performance. but i had fun, its been hot lately, and it was nice and a small crowd at the track so the wait wasnt long at all.

what are the chanced the timers were off. one race i raced a firebird. i whooped it, off the line, at the 8th and the 1/4, but the slip showed he ran faster than me. i was still the winner, it was strange.

he had a .6590 RT and i had a .2972 RT would that explain the strange slip??

my very first run my seems to run super super strong but no slip, i was the very first car and ran myself........ my gf said she heard the tower guy say 12.57. but it didnt show up at the boards and no slip to prove it, i doubt my car ran that fast. i was confused lol after that the car seemed to not run as fast.

i need to figure it out so i can go back and hit my high 12s ;)

• Sponsors (?)

Thats strange. Did you try differen't shift points? Are you sure you weren't spinning at all? How is your clutch? Its possible that the timers were off, I've seen that happen before. Just go again another time, or go to another track. If you have the same results then its your car.

Maybe 1t was 14.5 for the first run. And just because it feels faster doesent mean it is.. Its probabbly imaginary sotp feeling once again im saying a low 13 best for your current combo..

i wasnt spinning for sure. a dumped it at 6k and it went. the clutch is almost new and looked fantastic b4 it went in...

i am starting to get bummed out.
i spent all this money on this engine and it didnt really improve. the car felt strong just didnt get a good time.

everyone i give a ride to, they all tell me that its ALOT faster than b4.

the car just starting tickin a lifter, i got a couple leaks. i reckon i wont have time for it here since i am going back to school in Aug, it was fun building this engine, but it just hasnt really impressed me yet. it just ran so good for 2-3 weeks and now it has like 600ish miles on it and it has the tick and some water leaks.

i feel like pulling it out and starting a whole new engine....

Get the engine warm. Pull the spark plugs, hook up the compression tester to the first cylinder, crank over the engine a few time, record the compression, go to the next cylinder and repeat.

Your car should definatly be alot faster. My engine has a stock cam and I ran a 13.6 at 102 spinnin bad on bald street tires.

I would disconnect the power connector to the coil.

It`s been a long time,but I did this years ago.

Remove the plugs,install an auxiliary,(remote) starter switch in the starting circuit,keep the ignition turned off,make sure the throttle body is wide open,install compression tester and crank away for roughly 5 compression strokes or until the highest reading.

what was the weather like when you ran...

Do you have corrected times? If you run your car when it's hot out with high humidity and the baro pressure is in the toilet your going to run crap times. I am going to say the same thing here I tell the 4.6 crowd.. a bunch of uncorrected times is useless. get the weather info and track altitude for this run and the runs with the old motor.. you might be surprised what you see.

here is a good example.. the week after I ran the time in my sig ( the weather was perfect that day da number was under 100ft) I went back and could not get under a [email protected] mph... I was PISSED.. i started playing with the tune, I started to get depressed about it thinking I must have damaged the motor because I lost 1/10th and 1 mph compared to the week before and with the 2.0 60's I got better traction, so why was I going slower..

well when I got home and I ran the weather I found out that it felt nice out but low pressure was over us and the baro was LOW as hell.. the DA number turned out to be over 1500 or so..

well anyways that 14.007@99 mph corrected to sea level was a [email protected] so it would have been my best if the weather was decent.

svttech76 said:
what was the weather like when you ran...

Do you have corrected times? If you run your car when it's hot out with high humidity and the baro pressure is in the toilet your going to run crap times. I am going to say the same thing here I tell the 4.6 crowd.. a bunch of uncorrected times is useless. get the weather info and track altitude for this run and the runs with the old motor.. you might be surprised what you see.

here is a good example.. the week after I ran the time in my sig ( the weather was perfect that day da number was under 100ft) I went back and could not get under a [email protected] mph... I was PISSED.. i started playing with the tune, I started to get depressed about it thinking I must have damaged the motor because I lost 1/10th and 1 mph compared to the week before and with the 2.0 60's I got better traction, so why was I going slower..

well when I got home and I ran the weather I found out that it felt nice out but low pressure was over us and the baro was LOW as hell.. the DA number turned out to be over 1500 or so..

well anyways that 14.007@99 mph corrected to sea level was a [email protected] so it would have been my best if the weather was decent.
How do you go about doing these corrections?