What’s going on here

Black GT

Sep 8, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
I changed my front brake pads today and my left tie rod end looked like this. I don’t think the shines spot should be there. How do I fix this and is it dangerous?
3BC8B9EE-A012-4DEB-9710-3B4CD05F4C18.jpeg
I

• Sponsors (?)

Hi! Providing you verify the basics
1) Rod ends are not worn (inner & outer).
2) All fasteners are tight,
3) Car handles well & predictably.
4) No squeaks/thumps when cornering.
5) Excess tire wear on one side or other (?) You should be good to go. If you need help with checking anything, ask. Happy to help.
Your Car has a ‘bump-steer kit’ installed, it’s commonly used when lowering a Car. Kits consist of heavier duty, spherical outer tie-rod ends, permanently lubed & sealed (“shiny area” you’re concerned with).
With your setup, it’s normal.
The new Outer rods are also mounted on lowering standoffs & are shimmed until issues within the front end/steering Geometry are corrected.
Original Ford tie-rods use the rubber grease chamber/dust cap. The ones you have do not. You may want to get the brand off the blue Anodized housing, that’s where you’ll get replacement part #’s in the future.
Hope that helps!
John

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks John, The car handles and responds well and no tire wear so I guess I am good. Had never seen this set up on a car before and when I saw the shiny spot I thought uh oh. The car was lowered by the previous owner.The only problem I have is the rough ride on some roads. It slams on l every bump and bad spot in the road. I think that is because the car is lowered so not much I can do about that.

Last edited:
Hi, happy to help!
You are correct, bit of a trade off there! Going low with stiff spring deflection rates on a solid rear axle Car isn’t always beneficial to spinal health on real world roads..
Seats, Tire & Rim combo’s May soften the blow a bit, if interested in exploring other options, check out Maximum Motorsports.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user