what alloy

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
Someone knows what type of alloy are quarter window frames made from in early stangs. Especially what are metals added to the alluminium. Planning to put a new chrome on original pieces.

• Sponsors (?)

I understand there is no allumium in the zink alloy, right? What other metals could be in the alloy if any? Frames I have have some rust pores so is there any iron?

Actual orange rust or just corrosion pitting?

I took a magnet to my '68's quarter window frames and the front and bottom are only slightly magnetic while the rear section is significantly magnetic. However, my door handles, button, and tail light rings are the same way and I know there is no steel in them(I checked well away from the steel retaining studs). I suspect that the chrome plating layers are responsible because my headlight buckets and fender extensions are not magnetic.

If you have zinc or steel parts that are chromed already, you shouldn't have any trouble getting them rechromed as long as they aren't repaired with anything incompatible.

I understand there is no allumium in the zink alloy, right? What other metals could be in the alloy if any? Frames I have have some rust pores so is there any iron?

Zinc corrodes or "rusts" just like other metals. It's used as a "sacrificial metal " in Marine applications (ships and boats) as is aluminum (offshore drilling and production platforms) The sea water eats thsi stuff up and leaves the steel alone. If you ever wonder why oil costs so much, take a look at an offshore oil platform. There are HUNDREDS of aluminum anodes welded to them. These things are the size of railroad ties (9" X 9" x 8" long) 48 of em makes a truck load (48,000 lbs)