What are advantages of 9mm FR Plug Wires

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
I have the stock "grey" 8mm plug wires, and am wondering if I would see anything performance wise, by installing the "black" 9mm FR plug wires.

The wires are new, as of 7 months ago, according to the previous owner, but I am wondering when I should change them.

What are your intervals for plug wires?

• Sponsors (?)

Every 10-20K depending on your application and how they look. The advantage of the FMS wires isn't something you will notice in the seat of your pants. Mainly, they are a better quality wire with thicker insulation on them that, when used in conjuction with other high performance ignition parts, should result in better mileage, throttle response, cleaner emmissions and better overall efficiency. The actual HP gain is debatable, and I wouldn't go running off to the dyno to see how I made out with a change of tuneup parts. It becomes more important the more modifications you have on your engine- on a stocker it's just a good idea to have them, you are less likely to have wires arking and stuff like that. If he's giving you a deal on them, put them on the shelf for later. You'll have to change them someday.