What are pulley's for?

Ive read around and got the idea to get a couple new pulley's. Now it says that it should free up to 8-12 horses, but i dont it to effect anything else. Does it... or no? Im totally lost on this subject and really have no idea what i am doing lol.

• Sponsors (?)

they're a quick 5ish HP, if you aren't ever going to put a blower on they are worth it... if its gonna be a couple years before putting a blower on they might be worth it...

Some people have problems and some don't. I've never had issues with my Steedas.

The underdrive pullies relieve tension on the normal belt/pully system, allowing the engine to spin the pullies with less effort, therefore releasing roughly 5-10 hp. Modified Mustang pulled out 12hp from a 99 Cobra. The pullies are basically a direct bolt-in, though special tools are required. Some people choose not to use the appropriate tools, especially for the crank pully, which has led to some major damage, therefore giving the pullies a bad name. My friend has the steedas on his 03 GT, and has had no problems. Also, said he could feel the difference too. He described it as the difference between having your air conditioning on & then turning it off. I want to get a set of the steedas, but there are deffinetly other mods that would produce more power/be more functional.

02FastblackGT said:
The underdrive pullies relieve tension on the normal belt/pully system, allowing the engine to spin the pullies with less effort, therefore releasing roughly 5-10 hp. Modified Mustang pulled out 12hp from a 99 Cobra. The pullies are basically a direct bolt-in, though special tools are required. Some people choose not to use the appropriate tools, especially for the crank pully, which has led to some major damage, therefore giving the pullies a bad name.
So you are saying Al Papito of Boss 330 Racing who has built hundreds of modular motors including Bob Cosby's F/S motor that set numerous world records for his class installed them wrong? Ed Olin who was the lead engineer in the 5.4 DOHC design for the 00R and covered the negative effect of uncontrolled harmonic vibration several times Ed's post on Harmonicsand you are saying he is wrong? What about Joe Lynch, John Mihovetz(the fastest Mod motor racer out there today and one of the most knowledgable), are wrong? Please stop putting out BS and learn to find the real data from the real racers and engine builders who do this day in and day out.

For those that really want to learn, read this thread and pay attention to Boss330, Big Top GT and others.
Here
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=811587

and here
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=475554

and here is another
http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548311
Mainly this post on the above thread
Boss330 said:
The failed pump rotors are a symptom of bigger problems. The flats on the crank drive the pump in one direction only. That is the case but why are there witness marks on all four corners? . (This was pointed out by EDO sometime ago)
The inner rotor fits loosely ..Almost floating on the crank. The problem is uncontrolled torsional vibration. And yes...Billet rotors will beat deep depressions into the flat drive surfaces of the crank. Probably not always the fault of the hard rotors, As almost every engine that has Billet rotors also has a small dia underdrive damper or a POS piggyback pulley.
After building truckloads of modular engines a pattern has emerged. Most all oil pump failures involve underdrive pulleys and raised rpm limiters. There is alot of harmonic vibration on the front of mod. cranks. The small dia. dampers do not adequetely control the vibration. The results of this vibration can be seen on the crank where the oil pump rotors contact the flats on the crank. At some point the oil pump rotors shatter like glass.
It appears that if you want your engine to live a happy life keep your stock vibration damper/pulleys.
If you must ...March offers large dia p/s and alternator pulleys that were used on the '00Cobra R designed to work with the stock damper. One thing's for sure...Anything i build that revs past 7200 is wearing a ATI Damper.

Folks before you flame away, read the threads and take in what the Guys who been there, done that have to say.

blackfang said:
So you are saying Al Papito of Boss 330 Racing who has built hundreds of modular motors including Bob Cosby's F/S motor that set numerous world records for his class installed them wrong? Ed Olin who was the lead engineer in the 5.4 DOHC design for the 00R and covered the negative effect of uncontrolled harmonic vibration several times Ed's post on Harmonicsand you are saying he is wrong? What about Joe Lynch, John Mihovetz(the fastest Mod motor racer out there today and one of the most knowledgable), are wrong? Please stop putting out BS and learn to find the real data from the real racers and engine builders who do this day in and day out.

For those that really want to learn, read this thread and pay attention to Boss330, Big Top GT and others.
Here
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=811587

and here
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=475554

and here is another
http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548311
Mainly this post on the above thread

Folks before you flame away, read the threads and take in what the Guys who been there, done that have to say.

Maybe you should have pointed out that these failures were occuring on engines that were turning 7000+ rpm, and that in most cases do not cause a problem.

were those the same stock 4.6L motors that others are intalling these pullies on? It seems not from what I read these were all heavily modified 5.4's and 4.6dohc's.

I have not seen the same damage on stock or near stock vehicles (which most peole have here).

I'm not saying this isn't true, I have read enough of what was said and proven to see that there was a relation to the product and the result, however these that were stated were on motors that I feel are in a different "class" then most here...

I have had no problems with mine, nor have a personally seen problems.

Blackfang:

I wasn't saying that the only damage being done by pullies were caused by incorrect installation, and I certainly wasn't saying that they were "wrong". I was just trying to explain to the typical Mustang owner, with the usual list of bolt-on's, the pro's/con's of these pullies (as far as I know). I wasn't talking crap or saying that the only bad things that happen are a direct result of incorrect installation, I was just trying to make it so this guy could relate to what he has done on his Mustang (not a 5.4L built engine) and then apply what I had to say into helping him learn about the pullies/decide if he would consider buying them. There's really no need for you to get your panties in a bunch, and go on a huge rant.:notnice:

Pulleys aren't a bad mod for the price. They're cheap and free up some horsepower though will take some power away from accessories but shouldn't be a problem unless you have a large audio system/videos and all the other "bling".

jstreet0204 said:
Maybe you should have pointed out that these failures were occuring on engines that were turning 7000+ rpm, and that in most cases do not cause a problem.
And none of us shift at 7,000 rpm? I know I do on my car. Just like alot of Cobra owners do. How many people just add bolt ons and bolt ons and tune the car, removing the stock limiter? That is the nature of this game, you mod, mod and mod some more. Next thing you know his motor isnt stock anymore. The problem here is people try and educate and then others criticize it. That is whay alot of these professisonals stop coming to post. They try and help and no one really wants to listen.

3 of the named failures happen at 7k, doesnt mean they all did. Heck Bob Cosbys car only sees 7k at the 1-2 shift and the rest is 6500ish. Bob Cosbys engine is a 4.6, Factory Stock engine which means it pretty much was a bolt on engine. Joe Lynch had a 4.6 when it happened as did Carlos Nazeriano(if I recall)

Lets forget about the fact that it has happen and could it happen to others as well. Like I said for the price, and the potential negative effects, it's not worth the money when it can be spent elswhere going faster. Not all the motors were built 5.4's either;)

blackfang said:
And none of us shift at 7,000 rpm? I know I do on my car. Just like alot of Cobra owners do. How many people just add bolt ons and bolt ons and tune the car, removing the stock limiter? That is the nature of this game, you mod, mod and mod some more. Next thing you know his motor isnt stock anymore. The problem here is people try and educate and then others criticize it. That is whay alot of these professisonals stop coming to post. They try and help and no one really wants to listen.

3 of the named failures happen at 7k, doesnt mean they all did. Heck Bob Cosbys car only sees 7k at the 1-2 shift and the rest is 6500ish. Bob Cosbys engine is a 4.6, Factory Stock engine which means it pretty much was a bolt on engine. Joe Lynch had a 4.6 when it happened as did Carlos Nazeriano(if I recall)

Lets forget about the fact that it has happen and could it happen to others as well. Like I said for the price, and the potential negative effects, it's not worth the money when it can be spent elswhere going faster. Not all the motors were built 5.4's either;)

My point being 95 percent of the people on this with 2v motors are not shifting higher than 6k because they don't make any power past that. Thousands of people have no issues with ud pullies. So if you are "Trying to educate" give all the facts. If you are planning on building a high reving race motor stay away from pullies. If you are the average guy on this board who wants to max out bolt ons and nothing more, then they aren't a problem if installed right.