What are the best looking valve covers?

fastdave

Apr 19, 2003
Chandler,AZ
I have a 65 mustang that has a lot of mods. I have the basic chrome air cleaner and valve covers. I have an aluminum radiator and overflow bottle,billet pulleys,polished alternator,polished A/C compressor ect. What would be a good choice for the vlv covers & air cleaner? Where is the best place to buy them. Also most dont come w/ holes for the pcv vlv or oil fill so I guess that I have to drill them myself...

• Sponsors (?)

fastdave said:
I have a 65 mustang that has a lot of mods. I have the basic chrome air cleaner and valve covers. I have an aluminum radiator and overflow bottle,billet pulleys,polished alternator,polished A/C compressor ect. What would be a good choice for the vlv covers & air cleaner? Where is the best place to buy them. Also most dont come w/ holes for the pcv vlv or oil fill so I guess that I have to drill them myself...

I ordered some moroso aluminum ones that are anodized blue, look great came with holes and bushings fo under 80 bucks

I recommend cast covers because they hold the gasket so much better. I asked a related pole in the talk forum even though I had already decided what I wanted.

The tall polished Ford Racing covers, "Cobra", "Powered by Ford", etc look good. I got some Mickey Thompsons myself. I spent four days applying three separate paint jobs trying to get the wrinkle coat to come out right. Ultra PITA, but damn does it look good. I wanted some Holman & Moodys, but those are like hen's teeth.

I like the simple OEM heavy cast Powered by Ford valve covers from '85 GTs... I got mine on ebay for $25 a couple years ago. You can still find 'em like this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973553779&category=33627

attachment.php

Attachments

• f7_1_b.jpg
    f7_1_b.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 425
I have the ones from an 85 GT just like the ones in the picture DarkBuddah posted. I polished them and then sprayed the fins with Ford blue paint. I cleaned the blue off the top of the fins with lacquer thinner (and a lot of patience) and left it between the fins. I topped it all off with Nylack from Eastwood. They look very good considering they were done at home with a 5" buffing wheel, a Dremmel and a spray can.
I use 2 cork gaskets glued together with silicone sealer to give them enough clearance to my roller rockers, etc (signature on the '69 is way out of date). I removed the oil baffles so I use a chrome breather with internal baffle and grommet for the PCV and a late model chrome oil fill cap with double thick gasket.

I have the orginal Hig Port TFS heads w/ Crower roller rockers. I don't know if I need to het tall covers or not. ALSO... What would be a good air cleaner to match the valve covers. The Aluminum Cobra covers look nice..