What are the signs of a bad IAC Valve?

• Sponsors (?)

sign of a bad iac valve would be stuttering. or at idle it could be idling like ****... i just swapped an IAC on my girls expedition. the truck would idle as if it was cammed out, and soon as you go to drive, it would stall.

it COULD also be that your MAF is clogged.. my maf was clogged with a bunch of debris, i sprayed some of the MAF cleaner in there and it fixed my bucking... the guy @ Autozone could be right. but its also another thing to look into... either way you should be ok and i believe the iac is rather inexpensive.

If the issue occurs while you have the gas pedal depressed any decent amount, the IAC is not the issue. And if it idles well, hot and cold, the IAC is not the issue.

Well I cleaned my MAF and no difference... to give you guys more details it doesn't do it as much when the engine's nice and toasty actually not at all if I've been driving around for a while and whenever it does it feels like I'm hitting snow banks... it's definitely noticable so if anyone can give me anymore ideas asap it will be appreciated, i'm waiting for it to just poop out on me

p.s. I have a nice exhaust leak by the head but i doubt that has anything to do with it
p.s.s. I replaced my 02 sensors maybe 2 months ago so they shouldn't be bad already

Did you pull codes and fix that exhaust leak? The leak can affect O2 readings.

Pull the cap and check inside the bowl for signs of damage to your PIP.

Another update took car out after 2 hours and run's fine its so confusing it has to be a sensor
I pulled codes but I'm too dumb to count the beeps lol I think one came up saying o2 sensor running lean... do you think thats because the exhaust leak? I think it was doing it before I developed the leak. I haven't gotten around to fixing that. I pulled the cap looked at the rotor it looked fine, maybe a little corrosion. I don't know what to look for concerning the PIP

About cleaning the meter

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding :shrug:

The idea is NOT to clean the inside of the meter

The idea IS to clean the tiny wires inside the electronics box

You have to take the box apart :(
to get maximum benefit from cleaning those wires :)

IMPORTANT ... You DO NOT wanna break those wires
and
They are quite fragile ... so ... Be Careful

I know ... I know ... This is so obvious to a lot here :D
but
We got less experienced folk joining us here daily ;)

Grady

Well while I was replacing my clutch cable, out of a hunch i decided to see if my dizzy was tight and it turns out it was fairly loose. So i tightened it down and so far so good no stuttering or pinging yet. I guess that could have been the problem?

Well while I was replacing my clutch cable, out of a hunch i decided to see if my dizzy was tight and it turns out it was fairly loose. So i tightened it down and so far so good no stuttering or pinging yet. I guess that could have been the problem?

Where was the timing at when you got a timing light on it? For studdering, it was probably very retarded.

That i am not sure about... i think it was retarded but i didn't use a timing light because their wasn't one available so i spun it counter-clockwise and it sounded bad so i spun it clockwise and once i went down the road it was pingin so i turned it back some and now it's perfect from what i know

when my IAC last went bad it would not hold an idle whatsoever....it was a constant stall. After the stall, it would start right up, but unless I held the throttle open slightly, it was an immediate stall. I replaced the MAF cause it is so cheap, but it was still a stall, would not hold an idle whatsoever. I replaced the IAC and that was exactly what the problem was.

Any idle issues I have ever had have been corrected by replacing either the IAC, MAF, or the TPS or all three because they are so cheap to replace.

Oh, and I also had a problem before when my dizzy came loose. Can't correct it properly without a timing light...in my opinion anyway. Stall and tough start was a result of a bad stater on the dizzy too.

I'm having the same problem too. Just bought a 2003 GT. It was sitting for a year untouched. I was thinking bad gas? But I've added stabilizers to the gas. Cleaned MAF Sensor and changed Fuel rail sensor bc my codes were P0190, P1150, P1151,P1152,P1131,P1132. Any solutions??

Reactions: 1 user