What are the typical symptoms of a bad ECT

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
My car has been acting up, running really bad when first started up, yet when it becomes warm it seems to run fine(although) power does seem to be decreased a good bit. Does this seem to be the ECT, if not i don't know what exactly it could be. Some things i replaced are as follows

cap, rotor, plugs, wires, 02's were replaced only about 1000 miles ago, tps, Almost new pro-m, pcv valve. I was also wondering if y ou can have too much vacuum on your pcv valve or not.

Thanks to all that help, once again

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Is it due to the car being cold from being outside in the winter? If so, that's probably just a warm-natured car (they seem to get that way more and more as they show their age).

A defective ECT would cause your fan not to run, your car to run excessively rich (it helps determine your A/F mixture), or possibly cause the car to be hard to start when hot.

These are just the symptoms I experienced, so your mileage may vary...besides, it's a $15 part (I think), it's a pretty affordable swap.

SS

yeah it stays outside the house in the winter along with every other day of the year, why would this cause it to run so bad on initial startup, It did not do this last winter, so i wouldn't think that it was it

jason

Yeah, mine went bad at 75,000 miles with the symptoms listed above. Of course not many cars are overheating at this time of year. If you have $15 to throw into it (Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto) go ahead and do it. Its worth it even if it doesnt need it just to be able to rule it out. A faulty ECT can screw your car up pretty good. My idles were rough, my fan turned on WAY late (kept blaming the CCRM) and it was running really rich.

Hey supersync just seen where you were from me and the wife took our honeymoon up in maggie valley, it is beautiful up there we are thinking of moving up there when i finish school. Cool

jason