What Are These Called and How Do I Restore Them?

These are seat belt mechanism pods...or covers...or something. They cover the rear seat seat belt spool on '87 to '93 notches. They sit on the package shelf and are covered with the same felt-like material that is on the package shelf. What are they called and how do you restore them? The sun takes an awful toll on them and mine are wasted. But I can't find anyone (so far) that sells them or sells a restore kit or material to recover them.

Attachments

• pod01.jpg
    pod01.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 67
  • pod02.jpg
    pod02.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Sponsors (?)

I'd probably call that the retractor housing. You're going to find that there are more than a few parts that aren't reproduced, especially for convertibles and notches. If it's actuall something you can't live with, you're best bet is to find a good enough replacement from someone selling used parts. Problem is that every other car with them is as old as yours.

Is the “felt” in good enough shape that it and the deck can stand to be dyed? I have some original 1965 door cards that looked new, except for the carpet at the bottom was no longer near black. A rattle can spray of vinyl and carpet dye has fixed that and has lasted for decades.
If not, I’m sure the upholstery shop has fabric/felt available and the contact adhesive that will be able to recover them. The pictures look like custom speaker box cover material would do nicely.

Disclaimer, I have a hatch, and have not specifically seen these.

Is the “felt” in good enough shape that it and the deck can stand to be dyed? I have some original 1965 door cards that looked new, except for the carpet at the bottom was no longer near black. A rattle can spray of vinyl and carpet dye has fixed that and has lasted for decades.
If not, I’m sure the upholstery shop has fabric/felt available and the contact adhesive that will be able to recover them. The pictures look like custom speaker box cover material would do nicely.

Disclaimer, I have a hatch, and have not specifically seen these.
Unfortunately, no. Mine are dead on top so no dying. If you look at the photo taken from through the window, you can see the tops are aesthetically challenged on top. Like it got old and lost their hair. (The sides are aesthetically pretty solid, however.) The covers themselves are a cardboard material, or masonite or something - the same material that the deck and door panels are made from, and they are pretty solid, it's just the felt material on them that's less than ideal. Repo rear decks are made and sold through everyone, and one of those is on my short list, but whenever I obtain one, it will only serve to make these covers look worse and look more faded. If I could source the felt material, maybe I could cover these, but that would be a trick because of the curvature here. It looks like from the factory these things were coated in spray adhesive and then ground up bits of the felt material was sprayed on them?

And yep, I am probably headed to an upholstery shop soon to see because I have to find another solution.

I used LMR interior spray paint to "dye" mine. No one will be examining those on your car unless they are some extreme opposite color. The seat belts are reproduced, but that cover is not.