What Are These Suspension Parts?

MN_Stang

Mar 31, 2017
I've searched this forum and many google keywords trying to find out was these suspension parts are, but can't find pictures or descriptions of it on any other cars.

These were on my '82 GT when I bought it. Are they factory? Anyone know what they are called? Basically, there is a pad on the bottom of the lower control arm and an arm with a rubber bumper clamped to the axle tubes? Was this a solution for wheel hop?

I plan on updating the suspension with coilovers, new lcas (read that i should keep the stock uppers with rubber bushings for proper give). Can i just throw away whatever the parts are in these photos? Or is it beneficial to keep them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6148_1.jpg
    IMG_6148_1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_6146_2.jpg
    IMG_6146_2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Sponsors (?)

You can retrofit quads, you'll just need to upgrade to an 8.8 that has the mounts on the axle tube, and add the mounts to the body.

Also, I wouldn't throw any Fox parts away. Toss em on Ebay. All these parts have some value these days unless really trashed.

The technical term was "anti-tramp rods", as wheelhop was often known by engineers as "axle tramp". They're there to control the oscillations that lead to wheelhop due to driveline shocking. They're basically the factory version of slapper bars everybody ran on their '72 Novas.

Thanks all!

I do plan on installing an 8.8 soon. Would it be possible to install the quad shock bracket now? I have a welder coming this weekend, but the 8.8 won't happen until next month. ...I swear these restorations are a million horse-before-the-cart dilemmas!

Otherwise, I've read others say new MaxMotorsports lcas may eliminate the need for quad shocks. Any other non-weld wheel hop solutions?

Otherwise, I've read others say new MaxMotorsports lcas may eliminate the need for quad shocks. Any other non-weld wheel hop solutions?

Hit or miss. So many variables. Technically if you have any suspension point that has some give, you have the potential for wheel hop. Even specific tires can cause it.

I have MM LCA's and steeda uppers and had it. I put the quads back on. Gabriel 14039 shocks are under $20 each. My tires clear by a mile, so no real reason to take them off if they do their job.

But yes, you can mount the brackets to the rear subframe rail now and just leave them empty. I don't beleive there are existing bolt holes on the pre-1986 cars though. You'll need to fab them in. They are all over ebay, and I'm pretty sure are the same 1986-2004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-Qua...ash=item1a09ae6a4b:g:FM0AAOSwwE5WU0K1&vxp=mtr

Hit or miss. So many variables. Technically if you have any suspension point that has some give, you have the potential for wheel hop. Even specific tires can cause it.

I have MM LCA's and steeda uppers and had it. I put the quads back on. Gabriel 14039 shocks are under $20 each. My tires clear by a mile, so no real reason to take them off if they do their job.

But yes, you can mount the brackets to the rear subframe rail now and just leave them empty. I don't beleive there are existing bolt holes on the pre-1986 cars though. You'll need to fab them in. They are all over ebay, and I'm pretty sure are the same 1986-2004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-Qua...ash=item1a09ae6a4b:g:FM0AAOSwwE5WU0K1&vxp=mtr

Great, thank you for the info!

I wonder how to know where to retrofit on a pre '84 frame. I'm guessing the location has to be correct within a reasonably tight spec.